Old photos of Fellows Park

That walk for the players and management could be glorious or as you say, absolute hell. The feedback was emphatic.

And that wasn’t the end of it. Down the steps and a quick left turn meant you were walking past the showers and changing rooms. The showers often had the windows open. An opportunity for further direct feedback.

Then you were on the car park which offered the chance to share some thoughts with the directors.

I remember all three being utilised after a game against Blues during the Barnwell era. We had made the game members only which made the home attendance awful. We lost 1-0 and Barnwell got the full works. Then the showers.

Then on the car park were around a hundred or so, many of whom I think had spent the afternoon in the boozer because of the ticket restrictions. It went beyond the usual “sack the board” stuff and some managed to force their way into the directors lounge, causing a fair bit of damage along the way.

At this point we were heading for our second relegation on the spin whilst Denglen were throwing up Bescot on the cheap but for lots of money down the road. As @geordiesaddler says, Miller was chairman, Bonser a recently appointed board member and Whalley had packed in teaching so that he could represent us lot as secretary and board member.

It was a bloody mess and one that echoes through to today’s situation over thirty years later.

8 Likes

@P.T After that 1-0 defeat to Blues…

2 Likes

Those of us who started supporting Walsall whilst we were at Fellows Park we always have a special place for it in our hearts.

6 Likes

From what I remember a game we looked like winning ended up with relief for a scrambled draw. Think Nigel Gleghorn ended up in goal for them, and might have saved a penalty.

Yeah he pulled off some good saves that day

Yes and for those old enough to remember the end of the 1950’s and 1960 when the Laundry was still there, it was a really special place in our hearts. Never to be forgotten days.

3 Likes

Highlights from that game are on Youtube, what a half-time team talk that must have been!!

2 Likes

Andy Saville’s debut. About as good as it got.

Was never home for me, Bescot was my first game and following season tickets, but I have fond memories of staying at my nan’s house as a little’un and Saturday afternoon going in the front room to watch the fans walking past up Hilary street

I might have parked outside your nan’s house then. :smiley:

1 Like

I may be on the far right of that picture! I was living in Kent at the time and came up for the match not realising it was all ticket. I saw this tout selling tickets and bought one as did another Saddlers fan. Unfortunately, it was for the City end! I didn’t know the other Saddlers fan but we agreed to stick together and go in.

We kept our gobs shut and daren’t show any emotion when we took the lead. It felt like being a POW on the run in Nazi Germany. One false word and we were dead! A bit like Gordon Jackson in The Great Escape.

I think it was Andy Dibble in goal and was replaced by Nigel Cleghorn.

2 Likes

I see the customary police helicopter overhead

Loved the big games with police helicopters

Let’s not go there mate …:wink::wink:

1 Like

:astonished: :slightly_smiling_face::astonished:

1 Like

Being honest, I always thought Fellows Park was a dump. OK, it was our dump, but a dump nonetheless.
It was poorly maintained, leaky roofs, unspeakable toilets and the club didn’t seem interested in keeping it any other way. I went there for many years and was always embarrassed for and by it.
Having said that, just the Hillary Street end created more of an atmosphere than the entire Bank’s stadium ever has. When Fellow Park was full, the place was absolutely rocking!

1 Like

Much like Bescot.

7 Likes

That’s affirmative, sir.

1 Like

Happy days…

2 Likes

I can smell them from here …:speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Oh my god the the cow shed this brings back some memories !

8 Likes