Old photos of Fellows Park

Had to post this some one had posted this on face book seen many old photos of our old ground but never this one . Taken from the bank of the Street End around 1936 or 1937.

9 Likes

Love looking at pics of the old place.

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic picture , you don’t see many going that far back , but wait …where are the crowd , oh just queuing at the bar no doubt …:grinning:

1 Like

I love stuff like this my first game was 3-3 against Man City 1988 I think it was keep them coming :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Not seen that one before…lovely to see.

1 Like

Looking at this photo looks nearly the same angle the picture was taken from

3 Likes

I think I was standing underneath where it says Mild on the top of the stand at my first game well my dad sat me on the bar and stood behind me I remember the smell of cigar smoke and loads of blow up bananas in the away end for some reason :rofl:.

1 Like

Great game that 3-3 with Man City in the era of the inflatables craze. Sticks in my mind like it was yesterday.Andy saville at the double.

4 Likes

Yes it was put on the Fellows Park Facebook page this evening. It is thought the photo was taken by Jack Huskisson the man who keeps the scrapbooks when he was 12. Indeed what a photo!

1 Like

Never believe the old place was impossible to renovate. Could easily have developed a Gigg Lane, Spotland, Prenton Park type ground. Yes some slanty bits and yes very different sized stands, less parking etc etc but home is where the heart is and that place was and to a degree always will be home.

9 Likes

Reminds me of a few grounds in our league

I think mostly I stood somewhere between the E of Highgate and the M of Mild.
All that red and white paint, it looks quite smart.

Cracking picture. Still my favourite football ground

Remember Saville’s (making his home debut If I’m correct) headed equaliser like it was yesterday too. Was behind the goal between Rimmer’s cross and the header.
Check out the you tube video of the goals every now and again to see me as a 15 year old and my crap green coat going mental when it went in.
Also certain it was Eddie Large’s glum face I saw being chauffered away down Hillary street after the game too.
Great memories.

1 Like

My standing position was probably under the "T’ of Highgate…right on the half way line. The rail along the front of the stand was bent and had been like that since Newcastle came in 1961. There was no segregation then and a lot of Geordies stood behind us. We were crammed in like sardines…no one bothered about Health and Safety in those days. Great memories!!!

2 Likes

Totally agree, that was just 24 carrat Whalley twaddle. Morrisons would have fitted in lovely on the Bescot site, but then we needed some mug football club to pay for the clean up of the site first and a couple of little middle shuffties like Bonser and Miller who just happened to have connections with a construction company that built footie stands and had a course of dealings with another company that had some brown field land to sell. Question is, why is Peter Gilman still a director of Walsall FC Ltd?? Mister Pomlett???

4 Likes

@Scooby2167 This may be of interest to you. I took this snap of City fans with their inflatable bananas in the 88-9 season during that 3-3 draw.

7 Likes

i used to stand at the front to the left of the fence where the players came out as a kid remember barnwell getting dogs abuse and players and managers getting hell gobbed on and all sorts and some think the abuse players etc now get is bad ?

2 Likes

The away turnstiles at the Laundry End

4 Likes

One word “awesome” my first match that was what a game it was to and where’s the time gone???

2 Likes