Oldham Athletic (H) Sat January 16th, 3pm

So we return to action after what could be called an ‘enforced’ break, what with us dumping ourselves out of the FA Cup at Round One.

We find ourselves up against an Oldham Athletic side who according to the stats are much better away from home than they are at their own manor, which is very strange. Even stranger is that we have played them only a month ago, on that occassion running out 3-2 winners.

Notable ex-Saddlers that have lined up for both teams include:

John Kelly
Neil Tolson
Darren Byfield
Peter Skipper
Anthony Gerrard
Nick Henry - Anyone remember him?
Michael Barrington Ricketts

Oldham’s last six results:

Dec 19th - Newport County (a) - Won 4-2
Dec 26th - Harrogate Town (h) - Lost 2-1
Dec 29th - Grimsby Town (a) - Drew 0-0
2nd Jan - Forest Green Rovers (a) - Drew 1-1
9th Jan - Bournemouth (FA Cup) (a) - Lost 4-1
13th Jan - Mansfield Town (h) - Lost 2-3

There’s no guessing what our team will be, who it will consist of, or what formation we are playing. Hopefully we do get to see the newly arrived Tyreik Wright start, meaning that we might actually have two out-and-out wingers on the pitch at the same time! :astonished:

Both teams appear to be in poor-ish form over recent games so brace yourselves for defensive erros galore and plenty of misplaced passes!

Predictions?

6 Likes

2-1 to Saddlers. Based on not much other than:

We’ve beaten them already this season

They played tonight, we have had a break, so should be fresher.

We’ve lost our last 2 Matches at home. Surely, surely DC and the players have too much pride to not let it become 3.

Feels like ages since we last played. Even though it was just a fortnight ago.

UTS

2 Likes

The problem is we don’t know which team will turn up which at this point in the season is unacceptable really . Let’s hope it’s the the one that gives there all and especially after the break we have had clarke and his staff have drummed it in to the players that this really is make or break if we want to at least make the play offs that we are more than capable of in this poor league.

Nick Henry came in on loan from Tranmere just before the transfer deadline in the 98/99 season and did a really good job in helping us get promoted. Rob Steiner is always the one that is remembered but Henry definitely added some quality in the midfield for the run in.

4 Likes

Mugged them a bit up there.

They still can’t defend given they lost and conceded 3 goals in 13 minutes at home to Mansfield tonight.

Will be very long odds for a nil nil. 2-2.

Yes I would go along with a 2-2.we are not good enough do doubles!!!

1-1. We played well and won up there but definitely had the bounce of the ball.

1 Like

Would like to see a line-up of:

Rose

Norman
Scarr
Clarke
Nurse

Wright
Bates
Kinsella
McDonald

Gordon
Adebayo

But can see DC putting Gordon on the right and Osadebe in midfield.

2 Likes

Or indeed Gordon in goal and Rose as striker along side Osadebe.
This IS Mr Clarke in charge after all!

All kidding aside, I forsee another desmond, (we still continue to give away goals far too easily) although wishing for a 3-2 win to keep us within spitting distance of the play off’s.

2 Likes

Watched them last night awful at the back good going forward 2-2 for me.

Great effort at a tribute act :clap:

1 Like

A mixture of a good travelling outfit and our poor run suggests a loss hopefully we’ve gone away and had a few team meetings to iron out any problems add to that our new little superstar winger and we could put in a good display but I’m going to be realistic and take a 1-1 draw one step at a time people one step at a time :wink:.

If we’d have signed Nick Henry in the summer of '99 we’d have stayed up. He’d come to us from Sheff Utd on loan to help us over the line and then signed for Tranmere in the summer, helping them to get to the League Cup final.

Neil Pointon played for both. He had a great reception from Oldham fans on his return to Boundary Park with us, then during the game he kicked one of their lot up in the air and they weren’t so keen on him. :laughing:

3 Likes

Surely DC will play Wright on the right wing, we’ve been crying out for a proper right winger for ages.
Flash needs to regain some form by hitting the back of the net. We’re a little light on striking options as Lavery doesn’t contribute.
Christmas is over so no more gifts.
Home win.

1 Like

Clarke has confirmed we only have 14 fit players for Saturday, after picking up injuries through the week. Sam Perry confirmed has been in the squad as well as other youth players not named as yet.

1 Like

14? What the ■■■■ have they been doing?! I’d been thinking how great it is not to have played a game for a few weeks considering other teams work loads but that’s out the ■■■■■■■ window then. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s ‘really’ bad news, time to put the groundsman’s names into the hat perhaps?

Revert my desmond forecast into a fourth defeat on the trot.

Were Guthrie or Sinclair ever fit? I hadn’t noticed :unamused:

I can see Wright coming straight in.

14 first teamers is a worry.

I know I wanted some of the kids to get a chance but not all of em at the same time! Gonna be interesting at least