Open letter from Ben Boycott

A good statement from BB. Implementation now follows I hope…I think we are in for some exciting times.

I don’t think it is what people want to see said but rather the actions and outcomes as @philthesaddler has put in the quote you selected.

You could ask what do you need to see to be basking in the light outside the tunnel rather than being stuck in it for 50 years praying you were going to reach the end of it at some point?

As they say, actions speak louder than words. What are the tangibles that will be delivered and in what timescale? Dare I say it the much fabled 5 year plan from Pomlett.

I hope it’s a bullet train, we’ve been waiting long enough :smiley:

This is a good statement and we should welcome it.

For me there are a couple of particularly interesting points. One is whether the strategy outlined is new or was in place during Flynn’s tenure. I suspect that it is the former as Flynn seemed to be his own man. Which brings me to the second point where BB says that the new manager will have to buy into that. Given that many managers complain about interference from the Board, not all the applicants might like that idea - there are some big egos among football managers.

I hope that we are able to keep players for longer - agents are often instrumental in them moving on so that has to be dealt with. One of the pains of modern football is the change at the end of each season.

Finally, does that mean that Matt Jordan, presumably with input from Sadler, is doing the retention list and transfer work?

3 Likes

We would be very lucky to be promoted next year. To reach the playoffs would be an unlikely over achievement. I would consider a top 10 finish remarkable. A club of our size and fan base (Revenue and support) that is probably the best we can hope for. However an incremental rise makes a stronger foundation. Now i know we don’t have a choice but lets give it two years.

We need to enter league one and be competitive immediately. Lets have a professional ruthlessness and clear eyed agression and plan. I welcome this energy and the thoughts from BB.

My main concern, why didnt we introduce these measures and structures from August 22… The old system was still sh*t then.

Excellent comment from our chairman, he really put things into perspective about the problems facing our club and how he intends to rectify them

It seems as though he was bored rigid with the negative, boring football too and from that statement it appears to question the character and mentality of some of the players.
Hopefully next season will be more of an entertaining watch

3 Likes

Sounds like a dissertation for his university degree.

Well written and the type of communication we all want with, I’m sure, the right intentions but while I’ll not dismiss it entirely as just words I’m very much at the the “I’ll believe it when I see it”stage.

Ideally it infers that the existing board members will not be involved in footballing decisions but I think that’s too good to be true.

Appreciate the sentiment but it is just that without some serious action.

1 Like

Textbook how to run a football club

Nothing new as others have said words and actions

Question is if all of this is now being implemented what have Pomlett mole and gamble been doing?

Will still be a shambles with the three amigos around and how relevant will this letter be on a cold night in February at Barrow

4 Likes

Very good letter, with some very good points. There is a chance some structure, less prone to moments, when everything crumbles after one change in the football management department will be rebuilt.

And that is all paying customers want, put that together with a decent pint/drink and some decent food and you have a winner
The thing that gets me, is it is just very basic stuff, and should have been done years ago

2 Likes

Thing is the three amigos are good at the financial stuff so that’s what they have been doing.
Unfortunately on the football side they have followed the standard mode of operation of most lower league clubs, pick a manager hope he gets it right trust him, whoops it go wrong pick another do the same then pick another until you get lucky and find a Dean Smith or Dickie Dosh, drop lucky your a star if you don’t there is a danger you go down. If you look at recent manager appts at Scunthorpe, Oldham Rochdale etc they all follow this pattern.
The sad things many clubs still follow this format and if they do get lucky and then it goes wrong they follow the same process.
Clubs with a structure as BB outlined can be Brentford’s Bournemouths who punch above there weight (will we be that good I don’t know and can’t guess)
The major disappointment is the three amigos or perhaps better called the three stooges needed external sources ie Trivela to point it out.

2 Likes

That’s very true it’s all. Basic stuff he could be talking about any business any company of any nature .any successfully business is built on these foundations .and I think it’s obvious under bonser and the the board thats followed it been a dreadfully run football club .it very important that our new owners Trivela have recognised this .

1 Like

Our club has needed someone like him for decades, from what he said nobody at the club has a safe job, including those cushy board positions. It was really refreshing hearing an owner acknowledging problem areas and finding solutions, some of them will take time, and money, to implement.
It’s not going to be easy correcting decades of mismanagement, it all starts with the next very important appointment, get that right and we can start moving forward.
I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

3 Likes

What, like Smith implemented and Pomlett, Gamble and Mole let fall by the wayside at the first attempt.

This statement is very refreshing in comparison to the old Pomcasts. Fair play to Ben for coming out and addressing a lot of points fans wanted answers to. This is something we have rarely done, even under Pomlett when communications seemed to have improved. This facade failed very quickly and people were able to see through it very easily.

I’ll refrain judgement until I see who is appointed, who we sign and if this starts to be reflected on the green stuff.

One final note, the manager reports to the VP of Global Football, who in turn reports to Boycott. Wonder who the 3 stooges will report to and how long it’ll take for them to be found out?

What do we know about Matt Jordan ? Interesting comments from the Houston fans

https://twitter.com/HoustonDynamo/status/1432441168881717253?t=FanJPhHLICT5hnd4BX-nKw&s=19

1 Like

Interesting thought from the analytical approach for recruitment been promised I wonder if we have had a word or will be having a word with ROK who is well versed and most likely has contacts from his Brentford days.

Who will we trust for these stats, those which are ready available in the public domain or a third party or are we recruiting a recruitment analysist ???

Wonder if there is anyone on here who likes stats that would be suitable :thinking::smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting statement. The look of the club come the first game of the season will go a long way to show Trivela’s true intentions.

Does make me laugh though when they mention the VP of Global Football. There’s only one club so far, not much of an onerous job is it? :wink:

1 Like

Meh….what a stats tell you that your eyes can’t. They should just speak to fans and ask how they saw it through the beer goggles

2 Likes