Open letter from Ben Boycott

The proof of the pudding will be the quality of the players that the new manager is allowed to bring in. Any more Cashman, Abrahams and DJTs and it will all amount to diddly squat. Players get you promotion, not chairmen.

4 Likes

Blimey. Not seen a statement like that from the club in decades. Fair play for at least announcing a football related vision that they can be measured against.

19 Likes

It seemed a bit like he had spent hours going through threads on UTS to put that statement together. I was half expecting him to mention making Bescot a place that is never easy to go, the merits of Liam Kinsella in midfield and disagreeing with geordiesaddler on the covid thread!

Some nice words and nice to see him take some responsibility for what has happened rather than the usual back patting from the usual culprits.

Some nice words, as others have said actions will speak louder than words.

27 Likes

It’s all very well him coming out with all this but are we still going to be shopping at Poundland, I’ll join in when I see the players we sign

3 Likes

He may well have done if he wants fans feelings this is the best place to find them.

1 Like

See what you did there @clawtheolder

1 Like

Professional and optimistic statement from BB.

It reads like they have already recognised significant areas for improvement (which wouldn’t be hard :joy:) and are investing time and money in yielding such gains.

I am much more in favour of an invested Matt Jordan as VP of Global Football rather than a full time soon to be disillusioned Director of Football appointment.

There can be no doubt Trivela Group are in control now!

3 Likes

My favourite quote from BB’s statement.

This is how its always been. Sack the manager, give the ground a new coat of paint and employ new manager.

1 Like

Impressive letter, but as our unofficial motto warns
“dont be fooled again”

Ill believe it when i see it.

2 Likes

That’s the bit that jumped out of the statement for me .and is the way forward for any future success for this club .will take time so let’s get on with it .

‘…Continuity: We will strive to have continuity in the building, less turnover of staff and less turnover of players…’

Hallelujah! The, ‘Former players - where are they now?’ thread is extremely long for a reason! It feels like almost everyone in L1, 2 and some in the Champ have played for us at one time or another.

Let’s have a team we can relate to and call our own.

6 Likes

I will take that statement at face value, very positive and it’s what we wanted to hear . Whether it now translates into real progress only time will tell

5 Likes

Just a more professional statement of things we have all heard before
I Will believe it when I see it , we have been promised many things before and now it’s time for trivela do it
This will show many other teams if they can trust trivela in a takeover
Huge for trivela

2 Likes

I think BB recognises a lot of failures with recruitment of managers and also of players. The boardroom are to blame, having Matt Jordan oversee things and having the final say will stop Mole, Gamble and Pomlett making repeated mistakes.
Just like everyone else I also believe actions will speak louder than any words. , but we’ve been asking for weeks for the club to make a statement and they’ve done that.
It’s admitted failings and that’s something not every business does publicly and I’m sure they’ll be keen to ensure they don’t happen again, I guess we’ll know more 6 months from now ?

6 Likes

Also lots of changes in first team manager and academy coaches would have seriously damaged chances of lads coming through.

I believe he is seriously disappointed, as trivela need to sell the idea of investment into there portfolio. Just hope we get the right manager with a good brain byt players to go with it.

The biggest difference in that statement that BB has made, compared to anything in any Pomcast, fans focus meeting or statement - is the admittance of getting stuff wrong and looking in the mirror.

That is great cause for optimism. The Bonserite regimes would never in a million years admit to a single thing being wrong - in their eyes, they’re gods of lower league football administration.

23 Likes

This Deeney thing could have legs spent 4 years here and is local so gets the fans and the area this could appeal to Trivela.

2 Likes

Clean house get them out!!

Just curious, Phil. What would you have wanted to him to say to make you happy? I’m not having a go, by the way - far from it - I just want to understand where you and those with the same opinion are coming from.

I applaud the sentiment in the letter and I hope the actions taken improve us overall.

After this season, it is difficult to be optimistic and I can understand the skepticism totally.

We are all Walsall fans and have supported this team through good times and bad. Last season was a real mixture and I was supremely optimistic at Christmas only to see the season crumble before our eyes.

The first half of the season gave me hope, despite the way it turned out, and I would like to see more of that please.

This is the worst period I have ever had to suffer as a Walsall fan for well over 50 years but I can see a tiny light at the end of this dark tunnel.

Let’s hope it’s not a train.

3 Likes