Open Training Cancelled

Let’s be honest it had to be cancelled.

3 Likes

Not sure why the club thought this was a good idea in the first place given the circumstances

I just hope they follow suit with the ‘End of Season Awards’ event.

4 Likes

In all fairness, it’s the sort of initiative that a community development officer/person would be charged with organising to be ran at half term periods etc…

It was more than likely done as part of the remit of the individual and obviously the club is now fearing some sort of backlash or feeling that it’s inappropriate given current dire straits of the club, the playing staff, no morale and a complete lack of general fan facing connections (I’m not suggesting for a minute that there are problems at the club etc !!)

It’s indicative of the shambles that we are both as a football club and a wider organisation - I can’t think of any other organisation in any realm of operations/industry where the senior personnel (CEO especially) wouldn’t be accountable and either resign out of incompetence or be turfed out for being useless…

2 Likes

Agree Coop, there seems to be a lack of accountability and disconnected thinking throughout the whole operation.

1 Like

Havnt heard , living up north, but has the player of the season award been cancelled this year.

Good point, I haven’t seen any voting slips.

Might be a few spoilt papers. None of the above.

What a shower of gutless morons this lot are.
The times in my life along with im sure many on here that i have had to front up to something that i really didnt fancy, would have much preferred to walk the other way but no, something inside you as a man just won`t let you, come what may, take a deep breath, get stuck in and face up however distasteful the consequences may be.

1 Like

What a shame. I was looking to seeing them practise their defending from set pieces - wouldn’t have taken long! Or practising our corner routines: either not beating the first defender or chipping it straight into the keeper’s hands. I think the last time we scored from a corner, there was a lace in the ball.

And no, the end of season awards shouldn’t be cancelled, they should just be tweaked a bit as follows:

• Biggest let-down - Joint award: Ismail and Russell Martin
  • Best ear-cupper- Leahy, Devlin or Gordon
  • Fittest player - Cook (!)
  • Best positional sense - Leahy (!)
  • Worst pancake chef (“useless to55er”) - Ismail, Leahy, Osbourne, Martin
  • Player of the season - Josh Ginnelly or Mitch Candlin.
2 Likes

If it was to be done it should’ve been the Wednesday before the Southend game, last week was Easter holidays aswell.

Players might actually have got a boost from interacting with fanbase and finding out not everyone is steaming with abuse towards the players.

This week it’s far to say would’ve been very different so no option.

This is probably the best decision that the club has made for years. Looking at our ageing fan base, it’s events like open training sessions that are going to be key to attracting the next generation to the club. It would only take a couple of blokes to dish out some (much deserved) abuse to the players for a good chunk of potential supporters to never be seen at the Bescot again. No doubt that would lead to the cancellation of similar events, thus being even further out of touch

I’d rather have some kids disappointed for a few months, instead of them going to Wolves , Villa, Albion etc,

I suspect this was announced as a ‘look, we’re doing something for you’ event in the wake of the WSFC meet which exposed the disconnect between club and fans. Unsurprisingly, this half-arsed move has blown up in their faces.

3 Likes