Oxford United (H) 30th Nov, 3pm - FA Cup 2nd Round

Completely forgot about Agyei.

From memory he scored a few goals in the period he was here in 17/18 but like Tyler Roberts he seemed to get benched for a few games.

When you think him, Roberts and Oztumer were all here at the same time that should’ve been a lethal league one forward line but instead I’m pretty sure a very raw Baka was the regular starter upfront. He scored 5 league goals that season.Roberts scored 5 and Agyei 4 in half a season and way less minutes.

I defended Whitney a fair bit around that time on here but he didn’t half make some odd player selection decisions.

As for the game well considering that home game in April effectively relegated the club from league one and they are miles better six months on regularly scoring 3s and 4s at league one level I’d be amazed if the team even got a replay from this.

0-3 and Oxford to draw Liverpool away in the next round.

It’s depressing seeing the headlines " Walsall target FA Cup shock over Oxford " .
And reading Robinson saying they won’t be taking us lightly , which hopefully means they will.
It just brings it home exactly how far down the pecking order we now are .

Can’t see anything other than a very comfortable Oxford win.

1 Like

Echoing what most fans have said in that expecting an oxford win. But I will be attending, so that I can say I was there if we get that much unexpected win, to wipe that smirk off the odious Karl Robinson.

2 Likes

Can we swap our entire team and manager for Maldon & Tiptree please? A team made up of teachers & personal trainers etc made our squad look like hung over Sunday morning players. They showed quality, enthusiasm, endeavour and could pass to players wearing the same coloured shirt!
As someone above has said it is an embarrassment to see headlines that Walsall ‘search’ for a giant killing performance!!
Nothing less than a walloping in store. Oxford in form and currently experiencing regular goal scoring romps, so 3/4-0 is a given.
Lets write this one off to experience and continue our dour relegation struggle.

JumboTrudgeon You are correct. Some of their fans ran on the pitch from the enclosure, some Oxford fans ran from the cow shed and started laying into them in the middle of the pitch. Took a while before they realised they were beating each other up. Oxford won 1-0. We missed a pen. They got promoted, we didn’t. There is footage on YouTube. It was 7 April 1984, season we got to Milk Cup semis. It was second match in a four game losing run that cost us promotion.

First home trip of the season for me.

2-1 then we’ll draw Gillingham or someone else we regularly play in the next round.

1 Like

2-1 win Man City away in the draw on Monday night

You can get 11/1 on 5.5 goals or if you are really daring the actual score 1-5 will get you 80/1 :wink:

Going to this one.
Head says it’s a right old thumping for us.
Heart says: Oxford goalie sent off in the 1st minute for a reckless challenge as Guffney unexpectedly bears down on goal, we score the resultant penalty and defend heroically for the next 90 odd minutes to secure a famous victory.
My head really needs to have a word with my heart…

4 Likes

I think we will get well and truly hammered today,even if we were in the top 6 we would still get hammered.Oxford have got the perfect set-up for a lower league team,they score goals for fun,from several dangermen,and have a good defence. I predict a score of between 3-0 and 6-0.

We are the underdogs and a defeat is likely… But ffs we are playing Oxford United not Manchester united.

1 Like

Apparently Clarke is happy being the underdog against Oxford !!! Bleedin Oxford a team who have only beat us once in the last 6 times we’ve played them
I’m so glad he is because I certainly am not .
We deserve better

1 Like

Historical records mean absolutely bog all. It’s simply who is on the pitch at that time, and Oxford have a higher wage bill than us so … you work it out.

You have completely missed the point of my message , you work it out!

1 Like

In summary: ‘Walsall have a divine right to beat Oxford, because we are Walsall, and they are … just Oxford’.

Utter crap.

So you are happy that we have declined to a point where we are now underdogs to Oxford ?
Utter crap

1 Like

They are in the playoffs of the league above us.

How are we not the underdog? :rofl::rofl:

Matt I don’t want to get into a argument with you , my post is about where we now find ourselves nothing to do with Oxford.

1 Like

I’m not certain anybody forced you to write your bizarre original and subsequent posts.

In conclusion, no-one is pleased at our current state of affairs, we are the underdogs against Oxford today and Darren Clarke is factually correct in highlighting this.

Drama over. Carry on.