Penalty Taker

Not sure you could call it a debacle but I agree that the one Flash took against Wednesday was a bit poor - not hard enough, too low, too close to the keeper, and telegraphed which way he was going. Would have been more surprised if it had gone in!

Think he redeemed himself with the one on Tuesday though, especially as there was a bit more pressure on him (due to both his previous miss and it being the one to win the shootout) - so fair play to him for that.

And don’t recall him missing any of the ones he took last season.

Holden is the only other player to have taken one in both shootouts, and he too is scored one - missed one.

Christ. You love a moan don’t you.

1 Like

To quote Macaulay culkin " he is an old timer that’s his job" :laughing:

2 Likes

Best penalty taker … John Hodge! He absolutely leathered it!!!

Best ever penalty I’ve seen from a Walsall player was Gary Porter (in another shootout). Remember not feeling particularly confident as he walked up as he was not known for his goal scoring, but boy was it impressive. He only took a couple of steps back, turned and smashed it into the roof of the net with the keeper rooted. It was past him before he had chance to move but doubt he’d have got it even he had - you don’t save those!

Can’t remember who it was against though …

Any professional footballer should be able to take a penalty, and 90% of them should go in.

As for players who completely miss them and don’t worl the keeper - I’d fine a player a weeks wages if they took a penalty and missed the target.

Don’t think you would get to many league 2 players willing to take a penalty if that was the punishment :rofl:

Brizzle Rovers in the Auto Thingy. 2-0 down, drew 2-2, won on pens. Fantastic game.

1 Like

The year we first got to the area final of this competition, narrowly missing out to Bournemouth - made up for by getting promotion instead.

My mistake - Bournemouth was the season before. It was Millwall we lost out to in the area final on this occasion.

Goalkeepers are much bigger now than they in previous days, making the goal a smaller target. Added to which, technology allows them to study the opposition penalty takers, which again was not available to previous generations. For these reasons, I would expect it to be a more even contest than it used to be with more penalties missed/saved. Missing the target by a foot in going for the corner is no different to hitting it too near to the 'keeper and having it saved as far as I am concerned. It counts the same.

Thank you! The word debacle was erroneous I admit, but god I could have hit a better penalty and I’m (too fast) approaching 70!
And Tom, when have I ever moaned? Must have something to do with a certain football club we all try to follow!

Let Cookey take them.

Personally, I would leave the penalties to the more experienced players. Gordon, Lavery, Sinclair Sadler and Guthrie. Granted, they probably won’t be on the pitch at the same time, but penalty taking is all about composure and not being rattled, just make sure you put your foot through it!

And to keep in with the topic a crucial penalty was missed at The Den (by Neil Pointon) which might have swung things in our favour. The penalty miss was doubly annoying because Wrack was about to score the Goal Of The Season when the keeper grabbed his leg. He should have been sent off but the ref bottled it and settled for just giving the pen. I suppose at Millwall we should have been grateful he gave that and didn’t wave play on. :roll_eyes:

Do you get grumpier with age? Or are “grumpy old men” just the people who used to be grumpy young men?

1 Like

I would say you have to have the grumpy gene in you, because i have never been grumpy so don’t expect to be grumpy whatever age i get to :smile:

Funny how strange it is that only football seems to make me grumpy, normally I am a quite pleasant, congenial, easy going person, (just ask all of my ex employees) despite my size which might make folk think I am as 'ard as our very own yooov’s. However I don’t drink loads of beer that would make me 'ultra ‘ard’.
Think penalties should always be given to defenders who will naturally lamp it and break the net…the way penalties used to be taken!

That’s an interesting theory. I’ve often thought goalkeepers ought to take penalties as they frequently kick a dead ball.

I recall Kevin Pressman scoring a brilliant penalty against Wolves in the 90s, Possibly the best penalty I’ve ever seen, although I may be remembering it more fondly because it was against Wolves.