Peter Clarke signs

Reading his bio, I think Clarke might have made an excellent mentor to young Tom Leak. It’s a shame the kid has gone.

1 Like

40 at end of July

8 Likes

Yeah that’s like for like …

2 Likes

I hope it’s not that Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He might well have just won another Serie A title, chipping in with a goal every 3 games, and still be playing at international level for Sweden, but he’s a couple of.months older than Clarke for Christ’s sake and therefore obviously way too old for League 2.

Perhapls some people would be happier if the EFL took their lead from Logan’s Run and had players terminated when they reach their 30th birthday? :older_adult: :thinking: :joy:

10 Likes

I have it on good authority that the club were all set to name Methuselah as our next signing in an attempt to put Clarke’s age into context, however, such is the club’s vastly improved due diligence, they fortunately found out before going public that he was in fact dead.

6 Likes

I hear it must be true; for Jenny says so

A long dead Methuselah with a walking frame would have been a far better option in attack than what we had last year!
This year sooo different, we have Dave (once scored a goal you know, playing against a women’s under 14’s team).
Plus…So many options…not.

Will it be the same again? “No strikers required, our defenders and midfielders should chip in with the goals” :roll_eyes:

Who’s this Methuselah geezer we’re signing? Is he Greek?

Hope he’s good, as this signing certainly has me menthused!

As long as he’s not another Cypriot tax dodge

You are menthol.

Probably because of all the meths!

Hi everyone. Hope you don’t mind me popping in again to give you my thoughts on Clarkey.

First of all, we did offer him a new deal BUT only as player coach. I believe Mellon informed him he wouldn’t be playing as much and Clarke, refused due to wanting to play every week when fit. Fair play to him for that and it shows he still has the hunger.

We are going for youth going forward and more pace in the side, hence the role offered to him for next season.

What your getting in Peter Clarke? A warrior. Plain and simple. 40 years old yes, which from the outside is concerning, but don’t let that put you off. He will probably out pace most L2 strikers still, but with his football brain first before even having to think about using his legs.

Clarkey puts his head into everywhere. I’ve actually seen him quite a few times (when not being able to place a leg to tackle), throw himself head first (being kicked in the face) to stop goals. The dedication and toughness is unreal. He will improve your clean sheet ratio by 3-4 games a season by playing. I believe we achieved 22-23 of them last season. I think he lost a front tooth last season (I saw his interview and his fake one was in) from a league two strikers foot.

If you have a decent set piece taker he will also chip in with 4-5 goals too. Very strong in the air. A leader and an enormous voice on the pitch aswell as the dressing room. He won’t take any messing from teammates.

Only bad point - Mellon played very deep away from home to protect Clarke’s legs. That’s the myth anyway. We also had two attacking full backs who were often told to play very deep to use their pace to protect him. Personally myself I think the critics were abit unfair to single Clarke out as his pace was pretty similar to his partner Tom Davies. We also won 17 home games (only 5 away wins). Clarke played in every minute of those 17 home wins and also hasn’t missed a league games in two years.

His legs are okay for L2 still. He will do well for you I think, especially if you play with a back 3? He will be superb at attacking everything while having two mates to mop up behind him with alittle more pace.

Look after him. He’s been superb for us and he’s a great fella. Proper captain and probably the best professional I’ve seen at our club in a very very long time. He’s a class act in many ways and he will be massive for you and do alot more than you think.

Goodluck for next season, except the two games against us of course!

45 Likes

Thanks for the information on Clarke was a bit surprised at his signing as we already have Manny Daniels White and Rollin as centre backs but sounds like he can still do a good job at this level.Flynn seems to favour 3 at the back and Manny is pretty quick as you probably know.He should fit in well good luck for next season to you as well.

1 Like

Thanks for that information. To be playing well at 40 is a great achievement. Let’s hope he has another season in those legs and manages to hang on to the rest of his teeth :grinning:

2 Likes

The thing is Killer, Flynn might not see White as a centre back and I can also see him still shipping players out if he can. Fantastic feedback from Tranmerefan, I do not doubt his comments on Clarke after seeing him so many times over the years. I was surprised at first but on reflection a day after delighted with the signing.

2 Likes

We were in L1 when we signed him during 2019-20 and I was abit wary when he came in as a 37 year old (going on 38). But he was superb. Never put a foot wrong. Obviously named in L2 team of the season just gone. He’s definitely still got plenty to offer and I think he will benefit Walsall in so many ways going forward. His experience will be great for your younger lads and he was probably the fittest player at the club for us over the last two seasons. He’s a credit to himself and he’s a special player. Doesn’t play like a 40 year old, more like 31-32 etc.

I think your gonna be surprised at what you get tbh and he may turn out a revelation for you, especially in a back 3.

I also think we need to be realistic. Tranmere and Walsall are L2 clubs (at the moment) so the players we get won’t be perfect for the entire 46 matches. Especially free transfers. But with Clarke you can bet most weeks he’s a 7-8 out of 10 and will bring on the players around him with his experience and professionalism. Like I said in my previous post he won’t put up with anyone not putting a shift in. Last two seasons in fact i heard him and Jay Spearing called out a few of our players in the dressing room and had it out with them.

It does worry me we’ve lost Clarke’s voice and also Spearing has left (retired and gone to Liverpool coaching staff). That’s two gigantic voices and massive experience.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the info, think we were all a little surprised at this signing, but if he can last, with the things you say about him, he will be an important part of a hopefully promotion seeking squad. We got Ward last year and he flopped big time.
Just need some, any, signings! That side of things has dried up worryingly, think the takeover has just stopped us in our tracks somewhat.

Has he played with manny much mate? Manny has been very good for us so far sure most on here would agree.

They were their centre back partnership during the 20/21 season which got to the play offs

2 Likes

Do we assume Clarke won’t be leàving chateau Wirral or wherever he’s domìciled?
Since only one year contract,can’t see him relocating to Chuckery any time soon.
And thus training at Tranny or elsewhere.