Players that turned a corner

Perhaps not turning a corner but Brian Horton was released after being a youth player at Walsall and went from playing for Hednesford to making over 600 league appearances for Port Vale and Hull City amongst others before a generally successful managerial career of over 1000 games. I think I am also right in saying that the Spurs great of the early 60’s was told by Walsall as a teenager that he was too small to make a career in football. He was tragically killed by lightening in 1964 at the age of 27.

John White of course.

Another to turn in the wrong direction was young goalkeeper Dave Tennant. He played at the end of the 63/64 season I think as an 18 year old and after less than 20 games I seem to remember he was player of the season. We signed Terry Carling as first choice in 1964 and when he missed a game Dave came in and was rubbish being at fault for 3 goals I think. Fortunately we scored 4 and won but Dave never played for us again if my memory is correct.

Chris Marsh. Was booed for a whole season at Bescot in 1990-1 when his name was read out by the PA guy. The Step Over King was determined to prove the doubters wrong and went on to play 478 first team games for us.

6 Likes

Matt Richards was one for me. He was ridiculously poor early in his time with us and the fans really didn’t take to him (and let him know about it). I think a move from left wing to left back really helped him as he put in some decent performances from there and became a solid player. Scored some important goals for us from set pieces too

“The Ghost”

When he returned to Bescot for Salop (a cup game I think) and passed the ball from midfield into Row H of the Family Stand, the Saddlers behind the goal sang “that’s the Richards we all know” :laughing:
He never won me over, I couldn’t stand him and was happy when he left, the occasional spectacular free-kicks notwithstanding.

2 Likes

Have I imagined there was some paper talk about a move to a big Club for Marshy at some point? Liverpool? When would that have been, or am I imagining it?
He’s another I always liked, but his build made him an easy target for those who took against him I suppose. I thought he was a decent midfielder, but a very good full back.
By 94-95 ish he was a popular player with most of the fans I would say, is that right?
His step overs were often a highlight of an otherwise dull game. :smile:

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

Agreed again. I also remember the Liverpool rumour.

1 Like

Recall him scoring a lot of goals that season, including the opener against Leeds.

1 Like

My wife loves marshy, we went to Jimmy’s testemonial and she met him there, she managed to get a kiss and declared she would never wash again :joy:

Fish beat me to it - Peter Hart.

He was signed for a fee (remember them?) as a midfielder but was never the most mobile of players and struggled to contribute. I don’t know whether it was done in desperation but he was moved to central defence and the rest is history- ten years at the club and getting on for 500 games. Legend.

1 Like

He was also signed from a rival for promotion

@JumboTrudgeon

I believe this was the first newspaper report of Liverpool’s interest. Marshy himself told me once that he heard the interest in him was before this around the September time.

2 Likes

Dave Edwards?

To ease cash flow problems. Typical.

27 apps from 1992 before a serious leg injury ended a promising career.

1 Like

That’s interesting. September would make sense if they had gone to watch Dave Edwards, I think that was when he finished. Was he another Bridgnorth lad? I know he played for (and possibly managed) a team in Bridgnorth at some point after his pro career finished.

Yes Dave was from Bridgnorth. He did have a non league career yes. Think he is a warehouse manager somewhere these days.

1 Like