Pomlett

We were all so excited to get rid of Bonser, I don’t think anyone asked ," why now?" Why, after all these years , did he decide to up sticks? Pomlett claimed that it was the the culmination of years of talks. It might have been, but the why now question isn’t fully answered by that. Is it possible that Bonser has had the last laugh on everyone? That his near 30 years ownership meant he saw what others couldn’t?That his always dodgy business model was about to crash, and that it was time to take the money and run?

1 Like

I have spoken to Mr P on a couple of occasions, and I have got to say that he does come across as a genuinely decent bloke. I know that he has been a successful businessman and that doesn’t necessarily mean that he will be able to transform that immediately into being a good chairman. I for one am prepared to give him time to sort this mess out, and would trust that he does actually want the best for the Club.

I am sure that he would probably be the first to admit that he has made mistakes in the first few months of his tenure, and possibly underestimated the extent of the work that needs to be done, but I would most certainly trust him more than I would that other pariah. I seem to recall that it’s only 6 months ago that many on here were saying that they would be happy to see the Club get relegated into non-league if it meant getting rid of Bonser and getting our club back. I obviously hope that it doesn’t come to that, but I do believe that if anything good is going to come out of our current position then it will make Pomlett realise that he has certainly got to back Clarke and allow him to bring in the 4 or quality players that we need in January, and also that Clarke needs to be more selective in the players he brings in and not just ones who might make the grade. Any more additions to the squad need to be quality players and not just make up the numbers.

I for one will be getting behind the team, Clarke and the Club for Mansfield on Saturday. I think everyone knows how bad we are at the moment, but abusing both the manager and the players isn’t going to help the Club in the short-term until we can get to January and hopeful turn things round for the remainder of the season. Out of the next 10 - 11 games I think that we somehow need to try and pick up 12 - 15 points to at least try and keep our heads above water. Fingers crossed.

7 Likes

There was never any questions about HIS business model,it was brilliant,first class.He made a fortune from his business model,the problem was,he never had such a brilliant business model for the club.To berate Pomlett for not having enough money but having his heart and soul buried in Walsall football club is just plain wrong.

Look at all the clubs that have thrown money at the problem,and either gone out of business or almost gone out of business.It needs a guy like Pomlett as Chairman,a guy like DC to get the best out of whatever squad we can afford to buy,and lots and lots of luck.Give it time,there’s not a lot of other options is there?

Sack the manager,get rid of the chairman,that would do no good at all,so all we can do is give them time to get things right,and hope Stevenage keep playing worse than us (if that’s even possible)…:anguished::grin:

4 Likes

Maybe he did, which pretty much confirms he’s screwed the club over time.

We wont know anyway as he wont speak about the issue anymore now than he did in the past.

I think he is pinning his hopes on contacts he has made around the world through business links. He’s banking on a quick return to League One and then getting help onboard to kick us on. Unfortunately, we have found that in League Two we still need to invest.

3 Likes

It’s been three months :rofl::rofl:

Anyone with half a business brain knows you do small changes gradually. It’s going to take Pomlett at least 3 years to stamp his mark.

2 Likes

Advisable thing to wear when there is a sniper about.

And historically utterly useless.

You said it.

Back on topic - what meaningful alternative is there in your opinion @shady53 , other than a general moan and snipe at perfectly reasonable questions?

Sorry Bill Gates

2 Likes

That tin hats taking some bullets mate didn’t take long did it :rofl:

It’s a fair question in my eyes :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Firstly, alternative to what?
Secondly, i have commented but not moaned generally or otherwise about one thing on this thread, and with regards to sniping you have 1st prize for that with your opening aggressive and completely out of order reply which you then partly grudgingly ceded ground.
“Wow. 3 months in and we’ve had enough? After 20 years of Bonser.?”
Thirdly, suggest if you don`t want people having a go back engage brain before finger.

1 Like

It most certainly is :+1:t2:

1 Like

Such an intelligent response from the one who started such an intelligent and OTT thread :rofl:

So what do you expect? Pomlett to become a Sheikh overnight?

1 Like

As some one who thinks you are both muppets, stop being the biggest.

There’s nothing wrong with questioning the direction the club is going in. Have there been any tangible signs of recovery on and off the pitch? Anything to give encouragement to the fans they are asking to expand in numbers on the back of nothing?

I’m not asking for over night change, I’m asking for any sign it might do within the 3 years you want to wait.

1 Like

Coming from the biggest muppet on this site I’ll take that as a compliment :rofl:

What do you honestly expect him to do?
Sack Gamble/Mole and Lynn in the ticket office? Release a YouTube video every day stating what he had for lunch?

He’s already acknowledged the match day experience isn’t being dealt with quickly enough and has employed someone to sort it. Give them chance eh?

He’s already identified Cambridge (h) to introduce a special ticket offer to try and tempt fans in - give him chance eh?

The manager and chairman have had two months in the transfer market to undo all the rubbish from the past 3 years - give them chance eh?

You are yet another who obviously doesn’t understand business.

4 Likes

Order a few more pies in would be a start :man_shrugging:

Spose I’ll just wait 3 years for it.

Edit: you obviously missed the serious examples of what I would like to see in my previous post.

Why did you just edit your post rather than respond to my post? :thinking:

So we don’t have to wait three years for that? Sweet, How long does that take?

Sorry, they don’t work. We’ve had them for years. Loads of people will take something for free that they won’t actually pay for. The 5K figure was plucked out of thin air with no concrete way of getting there.

That’s football management. Just because it’s a big task doesn’t mean we should be this bad.