Pride of the Black Country

Eldest daughter did a project on the Black Country accent at uni. Apparently, it is the closest accent to old English with some words and phrases carried through.

1 Like

So was EugĆØne Langenove our first ever foreign player? Seems likely but would be interesting if there was someone else before him.

Iā€™d read something similar. It was said that it was the language that Shakespeare would have used in his plays.

Being a bit pedantic here but itā€™s the Black Country dialect (i.e. the words we use) that is apparently the closest to Anglo Saxon/old English out of all current regional dialects, while the accent (the way we speak - sorry, spake the words) is supposedly the closest to how Shakespeare would have spoken (as @Fish points out), although the rest of the Elizabethan court may have sounded more west country.

Anyway, weā€™re unique - and hereā€™s something to help foreigners get their heads (and ears) around what weā€™re saying:

2 Likes

According to my elder sister we have some huguenots ancestors on my maternal grandfathers side of the family

2 Likes

We had a history teacher who was well blessed in the nasal department. Oh the fun we had as we pronounced Huguenots as ā€œhuge noseā€.

1 Like

My mate tells a tale of a group of Black Country lads from our local pub at the time on a trip to Paris.
They were sat in a crowded bar, when a french bloke approached them to get past and said ā€œmerciā€.
One of the lads got up and offered him the chair, as the bemused french bloke walked past them.
The lad said he thought he had said ā€œmar seatā€.

1 Like
4 Likes

No matter where i go all over this country and over the water people know our accent a mile off.

Always one tho who thinks we are brummies till a little information shows them the light of there error

3 Likes

Itā€™s the same when you ask a Canadian if heā€™s a Yank , or ask a Mackem if they are a Geordie ā€¦

2 Likes

If you like Jonny Cole ā€¦

And being a Wednesburyite myself ā€¦

2 Likes

Or like me the other week asking a New Zealander if she saw from South Africa :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Wowā€¦just wow! Saffers sound like Dutch people. Kiwis definitely donā€™t. They donā€™t sound like Aussies either!

2 Likes

Many years ago I worked in hotel that had a coachload in from Sunderland. All week long, they insisted the werenā€™t Geordies. A while later ,I had a look in the visitors book. Where it said " nationality " every one of them had written," Geordie."

2 Likes

Brilliant :rofl:

Southern hemispherians - they all look and sound the same! :rofl:

1 Like

Itā€™s all foreign to me mate :wink:

There are two Mackems who work with me. I joked initially to one of them that he was, like all Geordies, really a Scot.

He reacted so funnily that I christened him Geordie McMackem - and the name has stuck to this day.

:rofl:

2 Likes

https://www.blackcountrytshirts.com/product-category/designs/black-country/

A range of Black Country items on sale here.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t there a thing a while ago about the use of the chains logo ? something to do with the fact that they were made here in the black country for use on slaves? They forget that they were also used on ships and other good things.