Question about Alan Buckley

Alan Buckley. One of the all time greats - did he know where the net was? Did he ever!

1 Like

70 today.

2 Likes

I just heard Paul Hawksbee wishing him a happy 70th birthday on TalkSport.

And I bet he could score more goals for us even now than some we have on our books … :grinning:

4 Likes

50 years ago today Alan signed for Saddlers on an initial one month loan… the rest is history.

6 Likes

The buck celebrates his goal v man u at fellows park in 1975 - the moment that made me a saddler for life

15 Likes

Can you remember what it was that Nick Atthey had done to earn a five match suspension?

We did some good business with Forest for a while, as well as Fraser, Pollock and Buckley we signed Serella and Dennehy over the next couple of years.

Was trying to remember the winger who played for us years ago the other day and couldn’t .that was him Miah Dennehy what an enigma he was brilliant or awful fans either loved him or hated him . .thanks for that .

2 Likes

There you go, pal. Seems a bit of a harsh punishment, that.

1 Like

Thanks for that.
Things moved more slowly back then (insert your own joke about Danny Guthrie or Stephen Ward or whoever) and it is strange to think of a player being sent off in March and not serving his suspension until the start of the following season.

1 Like

I remember some of our players, like Jimmy Mc Morran receiving 21 or 28 day suspensions back in the mid 1960’s

I can remember Derek Dougan having an eight week suspension. I’ve no idea what he’d done.

1 Like

I’ve found out through intensive research, by which I mean I read his Wikipedia page. Dougan was dismissed for verbally abusing a linesman at Molineux in a match against Everton in 69-70, and this led to what Wiki describe as an “upheaval” in the crowd during which 84 people were injured. The Doog received a record eight week suspension.
I thought I remembered it but I were nobbut a lad and I’m glad my memory isn’t playing tricks.

Funny that Buckley is described as coming in to combat a shortage of players and that Allen was unsure where to play him. He worked that out soon enough but the surprise was when he did start banging in the goals, Forest were happy enough to let him go permanently, after initially saying one month. How much of our happy history would have been lost if they had not?

Dougan was one of those big-ego players, universally hated by opposition fans, but effective. We don’t seem to have so many these days.

I actually went to that game, a 3-2 win for Everton in front of 40,000 at Molineux. Later I remember one of my Teachers saying that he would never go to Molineux again, “after hearing what Dougan had said to the Linesman”, and he never did. He thought Dougan was setting a bad example to kids etc. Later that season the same Teacher and his brother offered to take me and a school mate to see Everton play Chelsea at Goodison Park. We were well up for that and had a great day out with Everton winning 5-2, on their way to the League Championship. Other than the game the thing I remember is standing in the middle of these old Everton supporters, effin and jeffin. :grinning: Nothing like that could happen now.

2 Likes

How amazing that we were in for the current sporting Lisbon manager Ronnie Allan !

2 Likes

He wasn’t going to get in the team ahead of Duncan McKenzie, and they also had Neil Martin up front who was obviously the big strong centre forward. And I suppose Dave Mackay thought the young Tony Woodcock was a good prospect and he favoured him. In midfield The Buck was up against Martin O’ Neill, Ian Bowyer and Tommy Jackson to name a few, and John Robertson was emerging and there was Miah Dennehy. Steve Peplow was another decent attacker who didn’t get many chances at Forest back then and he moved on.
The Buck has said he didn’t get on with Mackay at Forest, I expect Mackay could see he was a decent player but there was no way through to the first team for him. Forest weren’t a bad team then, decent finish in the league and hard done to in the F A Cup, the quarter final was it?

1 Like

I loved to watch miah leaning on the low wall at the front of the cowshed - great feet and so quick - but from what i remember he sometimes hung onto the ball too long when the buck, georgie and bernie were screaming for a pass!

That was about four games from the end of the season. Good luck nowadays for any neutral to get in to see a game between first and third with just a few games to go. It must have been a fantastic atmosphere when Everton went 5-0 up.

Why was Miah leaning on the wall? He should have been running up and down the wing. I hope you yelled at him to get on with it!