Question about Alan Buckley

Ian Callaghan ?

1 Like

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19660128

Colin Taylor (2), Howard Riley (2) the other scorers.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. A happy memory. I suppose it would have been a 4-2-4 formation, with Sissons in the back 4, Summers and Athey in midfield and the rest up front, with Kirby and Satch in the middle. I notice two of their big names, Trollope and Don Rogers, in their team. Allan Clarke would still have been with us - perhaps he was injured that day.

Satchwell played mainly as a winger for us. He died 7 years’ ago.

Peter Thompson wasn’t a part of the squad at the World Cup in '66. Terry Paine was and as @MikeVale1 points out Ian Callaghan was another winger who was selected, and also John Connelly.

1 Like

Sorry - I should check and not rely on memory. Thank you for the correction. In fact all 3 played one game in the group stages but none afterwards.

2 Likes

Thanks for finding that, seems like my memory is not too bad after all! One thing not quite right though, it has Satchwell scoring after 25 minutes, when it should have been 25 seconds.

No - look more carefully. The minutes are " and the seconds are ’

Is that our quickest ever goal, by the way?

Match report from the Walsall Observer

I was there, i can still feel the atmosphere it’s weird :grimacing:

1 Like

Draper’s on Saturday was logged at 13-14 seconds. I think we had one at home to Hereford in the 70s logged at 7- Terry Austin possibly.

I just timed it from Saturday and it was 35 seconds approximately.

I think I remember that Terry Austin goal. I also think I remember Matt Fryatt scoring at Bescot after a few seconds but I don’t know who it was against. It might have been not long after the Nick Barmby goal for Hull which is one of the quickest goals ever recorded. Any fans who think our defence is a bit of a mess at times this season should watch that Barmby goal. :laughing:

2 Likes

Here you go

2 Likes

Sometimes you just have to laugh :laughing:

Quite. I don’t think anyone had told us they had kicked off.

I wasn’t laughing at the time but seeing it now it seems the only possible reaction. Good old Merse. :joy:

How about Lavery’s goal away at Stevenage a couple of seasons back (with an assist from their keeper)?

Another fast one that didn’t get the credit it deserved (because it was wrongly timed by Sky/BBC and still appears wrongly on many records) is Westcarr’s in the 2013/14 season opener at home against Tranmere. It was actually the very first EFL goal scored on the opening day (although there were 3 in the televised Sheffield United vs Notts County game the evening before the grand opening of EFL125) but Sky Sports News credited that landmark to someone else (Northampton?) who netted a couple of minutes later.

Took some stick about that Barmby goal. He was always v popular in Hull. I taught his sister at one point.
Always used to really enjoy the banter & the kids trying to take the mickey out of me being a Saddler (lots of opportunity there I’ll admit).

1 Like

Apologies for the pedantry but the correct notation as apostrophe (‘) for minutes and quotation mark (") for seconds. And in any case the link @Walsallnil shared showed all the goals as in minutes (’). Unless my eyesight is worse than I thought that is!

I’m sure it was against Bournemouth in about 2005ish. I think we went on to lose the game aswell.

2 Likes