Recruitment is key this summer

What like this?

Refreshing to see

Wasnā€™t going to be a 3 month quick turnaround as some suspected Shock

2 Likes

Indeed, plus a few maturing / improving youngsters.

3 Likes

To be fair, there is having a stuttering start while you all still ā€œgelā€ and there is sitting 90th in the football league. A few nice wins lately shouldnā€™t whitewash that as being unfair criticism.

1 Like

Iā€™d also add that the manager is such a key player. It canā€™t be proved one way or the other if we would have more points or less points if Clarke didnā€™t chop and change personnel and tactics from week to week to the extent that he does.

3 Likes

100 percent agree. But what you can say is almost every succesful team I have ever seen has had SOME level of consistency in selection tactics and playing style. Hopefully he settles on one for at least a few games next season.

2 Likes

And thatā€™s the crux of it all.

I donā€™t understand how anyone canā€™t get that.

2 Likes

Because:

I think the point is none of us who are patient and been proven right to nowā€¦ took any real notice of the league position at that stage of the season.

Itā€™s almost meaningless. Obviously if we were 10 points behind 23rd then that would be an issue. But it was clear that with the highest turnover of players in the football league, this was going to be a rebuilding job. It still is.

Right about what?

Itā€™s not meaningless, there are comparables in this very division of teams with high turnover.

1 Like

I thought this before and I made a post in around November when we picked up a little, but this season, how many games has Clarke had a fully fit squad to choose from? (Despite the tinkering :smile:)

Clarke, Sinclair, Guthrie, Lavery, Pring, Facey, Mollett are just a few that have had several weeks on the injury table and it might come to a shock that when all these players have been available, thatā€™s when weā€™ve had good runs in the league.

1 Like

Fact is that Clarke is certainly building something, it now looks as though we will head into next season with momentumā€¦ something we havenā€™t done for many years.

This season has been unbearable at times and I still get very little pleasure out of attending games, but it was always going to get worse before it got better.

However the real recruitment needs to come at board level, Mole and Gamble out please!

1 Like

Got to say I feel for Mole and Gamble (although less than Mole). They are tarnished with the Bonser reign when Iā€™m not sure they had much say. Gamble is essentially a financial reporter and Mole is ā€¦ I donā€™t really know what he does. Iā€™m not sure anybody that doesnā€™t work for WFC would or should know to be honest.

But Pomlett seemed happy with both at the start of the year and asked the fans to leave them alone to do their jobs basically. Iā€™m not sure why this hasnā€™t happened.

Agree with you.
The pair of them are basically admin.
Have nothing to do with the playing side and get lots of stick when it goes wrong on the pitch.

1 Like

Exactly, so if it takes investment why not bring in people who can take us forward.

These pair are limited and at a guess not cheap.

I wouldnā€™t underestimate the operational role that Mole and Gamble play. Widely acknowledged that appointing Dean Keates as manager was very much their move.

2 Likes

To be fair to them that was very widely supported at the time and seen as a step away from Whitney, which seemed like Bonser promoting from within to cut costs.

1 Like

Not criticising their involvement in bringing Keates in, it looked a shrewd move at the time. Just demonstrating that M & G are more than just pencil pushers.

4 Likes

Yes I donā€™t believe for one moment that pencil pushers is all they are, my concern is at the amounts of things failing under their leadership.

2 Likes

Heard Bonser wanted Keates gone 2 months earlier but those pair talked him out of sacking him.