Retained/released list for next season

People keep talking about how the game will change and have to change to move forward , wage caps etc , think another major problem is players agents pushing over the odds deals , pity they couldn’t be made to work to a limit also instead of holding clubs to ransom

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, Red. Agents are like parasites: they just suck money out of the game, money that lower league clubs can’t afford. We need strong curbs on agents after this is over.

2 Likes

Do we know who is out of contract?

We know that Liam Roberts, Norman, Gordon, McDonald, Scarr, Kinsella are definitely still in contract.
Bates signed a 1 year contract last year with a 1 year extension in the clubs favour.
I imagine Jack Nolan is also under contract.

Lavery was only a one year deal wasn’t he? Decent player like Guthrie when fit but too often injured this season and didn’t score that many goals.

Certainly need an experienced leader of the line for likes of Gordon and Adebayo to play off.

I would be keeping him. We had some excellent rotation options and hard to find that at our level.

1 Like

I can see Guthrie possibly being released if DC plans on using Willis or Perry more next season, mainly due to him more than likely being one of the higher earners you would have thought.

The website above lists those out of contract at the end of June, but I’m pretty sure Sinclair and Clarke both signed 2 year deals. The same for Jules as well seeing as we paid a fee.

Out of those on the list I can see Hardy and Kory Roberts being released, as well as Sadler unless he becomes a coach as well. The rest I’m not to sure on.

Edit: no confirmation on length of deals given last year - forgot that was a DC trait to not give anything away!

I would keep Lavery. The quality he showed last season having not had a proper pre-season gives me confidence that it’d be a worthwhile investment. As mentioned above, the potential rotation of him, Gordon and Adebayo would give us excellent options.

Seems I’m in the minority but I’d also keep Guthrie too. He’s played at the top and the things that he can pass on to Bates, Perry, Willis et al would again make it worthwhile to me. In addition to that, he can still look likes a Rolls Royce at this level when he’s on it and the best centre midfielder we have on the ball by an absolute street.

2 Likes

That mckirdy fellas from Carlisle has been released. Would get him if we could

4 Likes

Is Liddle still in contract to us?

Pretty sure he is

Must say he did look a decent player against us last season. Definitely worth a look at getting him in.

It is going to be a very churny summer in the lower leagues.

For us, I’d love to see the front section of McDonald, Gordon, Lavery and Adebayo come through unscathed and if we could dig deep, try to get Holden for another year. With that combo, we were looking every inch a top five side going forward.

I’d also like to see us retain Jules. He can’t be on much bread and although Clarke seemed to have a few issues with him, he is clearly a talent. In what would be a diminished squad, he is quite versatile too and could offer us some much needed presence in a very diminutive central midfield.

I agree with others on Guthrie and Sadler. If contracts end then sadly their time with us should too. And even sadder if Kory and Maz are still short then they too should leave.

Leaves us with a potential starting eleven (if I assume no Holden) of

Roberts
Norman
Cockerall Mollett
Clarke
Scarr
Kinsella
Bates
Nolan
McDonald
Gordon
Adebayo

Then on the bench we have Lavery, Perry, Jules, Sinclair, Facey, Willis plus a keeper.

I would take that even if all we had behind that was effectively the youth team.

4 Likes

That looks a decent eleven. In the normal scheme of things it wouldn’t do, but I expect a lot of Clubs will be cutting squads to the bone, ours might be one of the stronger ones if we can hold on to it. Especially the front four.

2 Likes

Sinclair in for Kinsella to beef up the midfield a bit for me.

2 Likes

The third Saturday of May is the usual deadline for clubs issuing their lists. I assume this has been extended given the situation.

Adebayo was wishing a fan happy birthday on the clubs social media channels yesterday I’m hopeful he’ll be sticking around.

Last season we published our list on the 17th May (2019 list).

I assume we’re waiting for the official announcement from the EFL before doing anything with this year’s - just in case they don’t immediately end the season as expected.