Rochdale (H) 2nd Feb, 3pm

"In the midst of the dale"

(Wordsworth)

When the season looks to be on the verge of falling apart, what’s needed is a match against opponents currently on an even worse run, with a negative goal difference that makes ours look rosy … and in that spirit we welcome Keith Hill’s Rochdale side. One of four teams straddling the relegation line, Dale will no doubt be just as keen as us to get points on the board - and to that end they’ve signed striker Rekeil Pyke on loan from Huddersfield Town until the end of the season. (Ref: “What’s your name?” Rochdale captain: "Don’t tell him, Pyke") Rochdale’s current League One form:-

29 Dec Bradford City (H) Lost 0-4
1 Jan Doncaster Rovers (A) Lost 5-0
5 Jan Burton Albion (H) Lost 0-4
12 Jan Peterborough United (A) Lost 2-1
19 Jan Fleetwood Town (H) Drew 1-1
26 Jan Barnsley (A) Lost 2-1

Dean Keates’ activities in the January transfer window will have provided him with selection dilemmas everywhere on the pitch (except perhaps between the posts). The arrival of Cameron Norman, Omar Mussa, Scott Laird, Dan Scarr and Aramide Oteh heavily outweigh the one departure of Kieron Morris (with his mum). It will be interesting to see how this influx of talent is employed, and also to see how much emphasis is placed on assisting the goal machine that is Andy Cook.

Prediction? Every game that we play seems to attract the label “This is one we must win”, and this Rochdale fixture more than most. Having shored up our defence (hopefully) and up against a side with a goal difference of -25, this really should be a 3-0 home win…

Cook (2) and Jarvis on the score-sheet.

UTS

5 Likes

A bit optimistic there WELSH but I think we will scrape through 2-1

5-0

About time

(Disclaimer - I have been on the Tiny Rebel Tropicana for a few hours)

1 Like

Forgiven! We can but dream…
To those going to the match not in touch with Deano’s recent recruits, our team will be the one in Red…look out for Roberts in goal.

As an active stay away, coming back for the Scunthorpe match was a bit of a shock to say the least, but I also came away from the game feeling like Walsall FC needs a bit of love shown to it. For that reason me and my eldest son will be there (weather permitting) this Saturday behind the goal, lower stand to give the boys some support.

Prediction: 1-0 win to us. Hoping for less hoof ball and a bit more composure on the ball and passing on the floor please.

4 Likes

See this as 2 teams thinking a very good chance of 3 points . All guns blazing. Can see a thriller. 4-3 Walsall.

Walsall P - P Rochdale

3 Likes

Rochdale have won three on the spin at the Banks’s’s’s’. All victories without reply too.

0-3
0-2
0-3

And as we’ve been rubbish at home, it all points towards an obvious comfortable home victory.

7-1 Big Baz Style

Cook with 4, OT, Scarr & A.Nother

Walsall 2-0 Rochdale. We really shouldn’t be losing this one and we really should be taking the game to them.

Must win. Anything less is ■■■■.

So, ■■■■■ it will be then!
Always thought Rochdale give us footballing lessons whenever we play them…the above stats via WarrenDrack show that this IS the case!
However, they had been crud prior to their cup exploits, letting in goals more efficiently than us, so we have a chance this time round!

Walsall 1 Rochdale 3, their performances have been picking up and they are due a win. We’re a fairly new bunch of players together who will not have had time to settle.

Are we installing under-pitch heating before Saturday?

2 Likes

My only worry about this game (other than the weather) is there will be a lot of new faces in this team that will take time to jel. Especially if we sign another one or two today. You could have a defence made up of players that have played at most two games together if Leahy isn’t in it.

If it clicks I expect us to win comfortably though.

1 Like

Every time you’ve predicted that we’ve won so :crossed_fingers:

Its only getting to -2? Just some covers should keep the pitch above 0.

Do you think that will do enough to make it playable? I am envisaging the infamous braziers making a return!

1 Like

Hard but playable I would have thought? Wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of brazier action though.

1 Like

Braziers should be removed at every opportunity.

I’ll get me coat … :wink:

2 Likes

Who even knows what the starting line up will be.

Roberts

Norman
Scarr
Guthrie
Leahy

Blackett-Taylor
Edwards
Kinsella
Jarvis

Oteh
Cook

Would probably be my preferred line up but I don’t even know anything about 3 of those players!

2 Likes