'Sadball'

Early days I know but the football we are playing is a joy to watch compared to much of the attritional fayre served up under Flynn, no wonder fan’s are coining their own phrase for this front foot ‘we’re going to score one more than you’ philosophy.

Let’s stick behind him, a lot of what we’re doing is a breath of fresh air and with an inviting looking fixture list upcoming the easy on the eye football can combine with some easy on the eye results.

15 Likes

Your best work yet :clap:

2 Likes

We have a -2 goal difference don’t we? :rofl:

Glorious work.

1 Like

Early days but its been entertaining and i believe Sads made good progress so far
More goals
Younger and exciting signings
Improved set pieces
A squad that wants to improve and play for him
Finally academy players given a chance
Ofcourse defence needs improvement but withPF fit soon this will help

7 Likes

Great philosophy if your not scoring one less than them.

1 Like

I swear I have somehow shifted through space and time and I am now in August 2021. I am fairly sure these were the exact same posts and arguments made at that time too.

1 Like

Walsall had a tough start and we were all aware of the fact.
For a number of seasons we had nowt upfront but a decent defence, suddenly it’s the other way round.
It’s pleasing on the eye such as the first sixty minutes at Crewe but it’s equally infuriating watching us lose the initiative.
I personally like what MS is trying to achieve but no matter what any of us thinks about how things are going we can all surely agree the defence is at times shambolic and we all share a common bond, we love Walsall fc.
Perhaps I’m being sentimental but the little lad that sat on the wall at Fellow’s park all those years ago grew up into an old man but I’ve never lost that feeling and I imagine it’s a similar feeling for you too.

3 Likes

One note of optimism for me is I think its a lot easier to sort out a leaky defence in a team with goals in it, than it is to sort out a team with a good defence that can’t score. Whether Sadler is capable of doing it is another matter. This squad with a back 4 and a manager possessing the skill-set to organise and motivate should be capable of approximating the play-offs. DJ, Draper, Oteh, Tierney, Hutchinson, and Knowles with DJT and Maher as back up represents as good a panel of attacking options as in many a long year.

28 Likes

I also remember at the start of the season thinking that our opening few games were extremely tough and didn’t think we’d get anything out of them after losing to Morecambe.

A Championship team in Blackburn away, pre season favourites Stockport and Wrexham and Crewe away where we never do well and we should quite easily be on 7 points at the moment.

But we’re on 4 with back to back league home games coming up, 4/6 points from those two and I’ll be happy.

Would love us to sign another player aswell in the last week of the window, an experienced defender to help us stop shipping goals.

7 Likes

Best defence outside the play offs last season

Descended in to chaos at the back.

Shoot out style football won’t get you out of Division 4.

4 Likes

Your first sentence is spot on…sorting out the defence should be relatively easy compared to finding a number of goal scorers and system to get them into position. However my optimism is based on the comparative youth of the squad and their ability to improve. I like what I seen so far …UTS

7 Likes

Neither did our freat defence, boring football,shockibg substitutions and an experienced manager and Walsall nil

2 Likes

More green shoots than deadwood

2 Likes

Well, it’s normally one less,but we know what you mean…:smile:.

1 Like

I got shot down on here last season when I mentioned this about late goals.
When you have less possession than your opponents then chances are you’ve done a lot more running and chasing down then they have, surely this means you will tire towards the ends of games, even more so this time with the amount of extra minutes that are played.
Obviously the goal stats are more important than the possession stats but with how lethargic we look towards the end of games I don’t believe it’s coincidence we let so many in.

2 Likes

It was T.S Eliot who began his epic poem - The Wasteland - with the assertion that “April is the cruelest month” in a suggestion that counter to perceived wisdom, the beginning of spring is in fact a bit of a bastard. That the hope and optimism that the end of winter and the emergence of spring brings will only be dashed by the general shiteness of life and that therefore the hope and optimism that arrives with spring is cruel.

For us, you could easily swap “April” for August. The start of a new season where hope and optimism live in our hearts for at least a moment before the reality of our current existence kicks in.

I’m still in the camp that suggests the bluebells and daffodils look and smell a bit brighter this year and hope that unlike Eliot’s masterpiece, the second part doesn’t become “the game of chess”.

4 Likes

Sadler has sacrificed defence for attack, no different to Flynn sacrificing attack in the hope of grinding out results.

Not sure what we are watching is revolutionary, hopefully he gets the defence up to speed.

1 Like

Lovely post P.T…a really good analogy. At least Sadler is allowing some attacking and young talents to bloom. That to me is a good starting point.

3 Likes

I think “Sadsball” sounds much better.

1 Like

Id go for Swedish “Matball” with Cranberry Jelly

1 Like