Salary Caps for L1 and L2

You say that, but I believe at least one of Devlin and Leahy were on £2.5k a week. More likely Leahy but I had that from a strong source.

Maybe, if so then that is just bad management, and goes to show just how much Dean Keates was working with his hands tied behind his back.

1 Like

Here are weekly salaries in league one for 18/19.

These are just the clubs who actually publish accounts hence only around half the league are here.

You can see that despite pushing near £2k a week we are only a marginally better payer than bottom of the table Rochdale.

Just out of interest, here is League Two. Even more unavailable books. I think that is the worrying thing for both divisions. Just how many clubs real accounts are “buried” in murk.

Sources for both - Priceoffootball.com

Interesting that is. There was a story, I don’t know if it’s true, that Keith Hill was interviewed for the job and turned it down, laughing a little at the budget that was offered to him.

Wow, Sunderland averaging 12K per week! No wonder Dobson left us.
I knew our wage s were towards the bottom of the pile and that clubs were paying double or triple what we could afford, but six times more is hard to fathom.
One can see why loyalty is quickly dispensed with.

Salary cap includes scouting and agents fees , does it not ?

Quote from the EFL website:

When calculating total salary spending, the ‘cap’ includes:
Basic Wages;
Taxes;
Bonuses;
Image rights;
Agents’ fees and;
Other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to all registered players.

I think this means that scouting is not included.

Here’s DC’s view of the salary cap, courtesy of a Big Paper:

4 Likes

did he really say the “well run club bit” :man_facepalming: :smile: :wink:
Good job it wasn’t while bonzo was still at the helm :rofl:

1 Like

It actually was, chunkster.
Understandably, Bonser had many detractors, but for decades under his ownership we were in the black and we’ve had a reputation for being a well run club for many years. He ran a very tight ship.
People hated him, the fact that the club continues to pay45K a month to him in rent really annoys me but there’s nothing we can do about that until we gain further investment.
The fact that our current chairman and senior management are applying the same business principles tells me Bonser was not all bad.

2 Likes

But maybe , just maybe because we are still having to fund the rent of the so called number one fan …

5 Likes

We were in Div 3/4 with a nice piece of land near J9 of the M6.
We are now in Div4 renting a biscuit tin from our former owner.

Our former owner who used to make bog handles is now a multi millionaire, thanks to the rent he has extracted from our club, with an ongoing nice little annual earner of half a million quid, renting said biscuit tin to the club he purchased for ■■■■ all 30 years ago.

15 Likes

Should never be called our saviour should that man . Only a leech .
He was a businessman and not the number 1 supporter he claimed. Him and his family and future generations of family should be for ever grateful to Walsall fc ( for giving them the life they have and give something back.)

5 Likes

I will be honest mate, i hated him and still do.

3 Likes

And me :grin:

2 Likes

He took advantage of our situation and made a lot of money, while fooling people that he had our best interests at heart, and we are still paying for it.

8 Likes

I completely understand the hatred towards Bonser. The sale of Fellows Park and the consequent purchase of the Bescot stadium reeked of impropriety.The shady business deals going on behind the scenes at that time by various board members, sadly, we will never know the truth about.

My initial response was to chunkster who said we were not a well run club under JB, the facts state otherwise.
As I said, we can’t do anything about the rent situation until we can attract outside investment, that can only be possible when we are out of L2. That’s why it’s imperative we challenge for promotion this season, otherwise the future is not very bright for our club.

1 Like

Well I would like to see a statue of bonzo , not erected tho but laying on the ground to save us pulling it over , then when we loose we can vent out frustration on it by hitting it with our flip flops , (summer time of course ) :rofl::rofl:, bit like they did with Saddam

1 Like

I think the comparison of Bonser and Saddam is ridiculous. I mean, one was a guy who ran a vile regime that didn’t tolerate dissent or allow free speech, and who was hated by those too powerless to usurp him, and who used his power to enrich himself and those close to him and left behind a chaotic vacuum when eventually overthrown, and the other was an Iraqi bloke with a big moustache.

10 Likes