Salford City (H) 5th October, 3pm

2-0 to us.

I do actually own a Salford City shirt from last season - the result of too many beers when I went with @DanG_WFC to watch them play Braintree!

Anyway, when we play them away - you must have the curry, rice, naan and a pint. Better than anything we’ve ever served in our kiosks.

I digress - Clarke and Adebayo.

3 Likes

Very good!! :clap:

Seen Salford many a time down at Marine.

Nice club. Always brought a hardcore of around 40 fans who mingled, chatted and drank in pretty much the same way as most sets of fans do in the seventh or eighth tier.

Last time I saw them was last season in the final qualifying round of the FA Cup. They had a striker earning more than the entire Marine squad. They also brought around 600 fans. As well a baring a new set of colours they had a lovely new repertoire in songs - “always the victims” and “feed the scousers” whilst opting to mainly stand together despite no enforced segregation.

I hope that old hardcore of 40 were there and genuinely felt that they were now living the dream. And I hope they come today and feel the same despite sitting 50 yards from the nearest set of Home fans and only being able to drink over-priced bottled beer from one of the most dingy bars, out of sight of the grass of course, in the world.

If those forty folk are happy then I don’t have a problem with them. I just genuinely doubt whether they really are.

What might help them is the win I expect they will get today. A single goal in a frustrating encounter in front of 4,300.

3 Likes

Cant beat a bit of optimism PT

1 Like

I know. I’m turning into a grumpy old ■■■■. Still got some way to go before reaching some of the stand out grumps on here but I’ll get there. :crazy_face::crazy_face:

But my thinking is that all four of our wins on the spin have been extremely hard fought encounters that could have tipped either way. If we continue in that vain then there will be a game or two where the big moment or two swing the other way.

Chuck a Kettle in the works, the fact that there are nine of us there for a bit of a family celebration and it has 0-1 all over it.

Hope I’m very very wrong of course.

2 Likes

Would love a 5 out of 5 mate - ill be there but i do have a feeling you could be right!

1 Like

Too much pessimism, ignore them all, we’ll win this one no problem.
I’ll get me coat!

As usual, 1-0. I don’t have problem with drab results. But this time there can be some expectations, so it can be and probably will be, tough game.

Great post, guess they’ve picked up a few “new” fans bored of FC United by now so latching onto the league football element of things. Oh and selfies with Neville and Scholesy.

At a guess from the declared starting XI, looks like same formation as last week but with Gordon in for Gaffney, Clarke to right back (replaced by Sadler in the middle), and Liddle filling in for Guthrie. Kory on the bench. :grinning:

Doh! Except Clarke and Sadler started last week - thinking of the previous game.

Guthrie picked up another injury?

Hopefully the middle two can get the ball quickly to the wide players. That’s always the key with a 4-4-2 otherwise wingers just become non-present on the pitch and you get out numbered in other areas.

Salford signed Craig Conway yesterday, he was at Blackburn recently and is decent player. Starts today.

Was substituted early in the second half last week so presume so - not in the squad at all today.

This is exactly how I and presumably a lot of Walsall fans would feel if we made the premier league, surrounded by 10k plastic fans that would miraculously materialise. It’s a tough dilemma.

1 Like

Such a shame we have to revert to Adebayo & Gordon up front due to injuries and Gaffney not able to play (we will miss him). Bit like reverting back to a typewriter, it doesn’t work very well but you can see the keys easily.
Knowing these two find it difficult to understand the meaning of football, ie scoring goals, (and yes I know Ady scored a tap-in last week) I will re submit my optimistic prediction back down to a 1-0 win with that well known guy ‘OG’ coming up with our goal late on.

1 Like

Trevor Kettle currently warning up on his own away from the assistant refs.

What a ■■■■.

Hope it’s not another 4-5 week job. Don’t think it’s a co-incidence the form has started to pick up since he came back starting.

1 Like

Makes me laugh …

Moaning at everything 5 games ago, now taking draws at home against a Salford team who conceded 8 goals in the last two games.

We should be winning this and I’d be very disappointed if we don’t.

Got to be the lowest Saturday away following I’ve seen here in a long time. It’s not that far!

Had a dream on Thursday night that we won 10-0. Although I think the match hadn’t actually finished (getting up dates from something resembling Ceefax and WM reports. with no mention of scorers), so there could have been a late collapse. My dream predictions are rare, and always wrong.

2 Likes