Salford Game

A lot will depend on the the result against MK .
A win and there should be around 7500 I would imagine.

1 Like

Hopefully some come to Walsall for the weekend! :joy:

1 Like

They should be nowhere near this level of football. Im not sure what their end goal is… to be the lowest attended team in L1; in the Champ?

Footballs a meritocracy so you do earn your way up, but i hope they go back to the NL and give a place to a proper club.

1 Like

Will never improve with stay sways :+1:

I cant imagine theres that many stayaways - maybe 500 tops?

15 seasons ago some blokes spat the dummy because 2 payers and their agents engineered a last minute move away from the club.
There wasn’t really that many and they’re never coming back.

1 Like

They’re not stay aways anymore Gav, they’re called ex fans now, we’ve been shit for so long now that “stay aways” will never come back on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Our attendances feel like they’ve increased the last few seasons - I haven’t looked at the numbers, but to be regularly getting 5,000+ at this level is something we were aspiring to a few years back, if we do well I think they’ll creep up to 7,000+

If we go up a division we’ll get a few more home fans, but most of any increase would be the better supported “bigger” away teams who are slumming it in League 1. Not that there may be that many, haven’t noticed who’s there or likely to be naxt season.

1 Like

Without checking, I think our gates now are at least on par with our 94/95 promotion season and probably 06/07. Definite increase I’d say.

1 Like

Compared to historic averages we are doing very well, currently average audiences this season in excess of 5,500 but we still only have the 13th highest average audiences in the division this season and we have a very generous offer for kids season tickets within this.

I guess that is a point worth making, other clubs attendances in the main are increasing all the time.

1 Like

Didn’t the club say we’ve actually sold more season tickets in the last few years for a long time? To get 2,500-3000 season tickets just shows what a strong core of supporters we have.

I think the club have realised they need to make us a lot more appealing for the non season ticket holders and the causal fan. Initiatives like the the flexible season ticket are great!

It’s tricky though as we want to increase the amount of walk ups on the day but also be mindful that any significant decrease in prices will devalue the season ticket.

I’m a lot more confident that attendances will go up under Trivela than Bonser. They actually seem to listen to the supporters and are trying their best to engage and collect data. Can’t fault them for that IMO!

I like how they’ve tapped into the schools games for this Salford game. I’m hoping they managed to reach out directly to each parent/guardian to promote this fixture as opposed to just using their social channels otherwise I think that’s a big opportunity missed.

I think that for the next schools game they should give every parent/guardian a voucher for 50% off a future home game of their choice and a free pie or something. That way if they enjoy the game they already have a further incentive to reattend!

4 Likes

It’s no excuse when we use catchment area as a result of poorer attendances. I don’t think there’s many clubs in a worse area in terms of several big clubs all within around a 10 mile radius.

I agree with most of that.

I think that what we really need is a little bit of success to really push up the gates. I know it is unlikely but if we could have a period something like 94-95 - 03/04, then we could really start to improve gates. From memory the gates stayed pretty good even after relegations, it was only when Bonser sold promotion (Dann and Fox) that they dropped right back down again.

1 Like

Here are Walsalls attendances

I think we could get 10k in the championship

2 Likes

Only just over 4000 average for 94/95, amazing really considering some of the football we played.

After promotion in 1999, you can definitely see the gates stayed reasonably high until the season after we sold Dann and Fox where they dropped right off.

Yep, unfortunately attendances are always gonna be dictated by form on the pitch. Hopefully we keep moving in the right direction and we finish the season strongly!

One bonus to going every week however is how much sweeter it will feel when we finally do get a bit of success. To be able to look back at some of the Tuesday night games, not getting back until the early hours, makes it all worthwhile in the end!

Our time will come, keep the faith :pray:

2 Likes

Pretty much what I say to my kids all the time. Their time will come and when it does it will be better than anything their mates who follow teams on TV could ever understand. They get it I think, if we never achieve anything ever again I have had my days in the sun with Walsall, would be nice for younger fans to have a little bit.

4 Likes

The interesting thing is while our attendances are actually really good right now in “Walsall terms” the 5600 we got in 2001 had us 59th in the FL, whereas the 5600 we’re getting now has us only 75th.

6 Likes