Scott Dann training with Walsall

We’ve been stung too many times by these kind of signings. No tar.

1 Like

If Farquharson is out for some time, it is one of the few ways to get reinforcements. And Scott Dann knows and presumably likes the club. If he can get match fit, he can help us through a bit of a crisis.

Some folk on here talk as if we might be offering him a 3-year contract!

Would love Dann to sign and be great but the ghost of Steve Staunton still haunts me.

3 Likes

The same ex premier league captain who is still a free agent 12 games into the season, warning signs straight away.

He can’t be any worse than ash Taylor and Stephen ward.

1 Like

Yeah … .but every free agent is going to have that problem at this point isn’t he? :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Irrelevant, it’s better than an under cooked Williams. We are literally desperate at centre half.

1 Like

Its not, but okay.

Pointless signing if his legs are gone. Maybe they’re not, but history says otherwise.

Playing coach yes, cuz defending is faltering a bit. Signing as a player can be risky. Could be next Russell Martin, but he wants to sign a deal, or train to get in shape and sign somewhere else, who knows.

1 Like

It is. I’d be worried if we were bringing him in first choice, but she’s about 7th choice after injuries, suspensions, poor performances and “retirements”. Literally a better than nothing.

How does history say otherwise? That we’ve made other poor signings? Because like I say he played a decent amount of championship games last season, I assume that counts as “history”?

1 Like

Just the ones struggling to convince clubs to sign them :man_shrugging:

Yeah … all of them :joy::joy: that’s the market we are in. Literally everyone who is a free agent right now, is in that boat :joy:

:yawning_face: okay.

Couldn’t care less to be honest. It’s a risk. A risk we’ve taken many times. A risk which rarely pays off.

Maybe I’d take him on a pay as you play basis. That’s about it.

I don’t care enough to have a back and fourth with you so have your say now.

It’s a possible short-term, even temporary backup. I’m all for holding the club to account where they come short, but I don’t see a downside here. Clutching at straws perhaps, but even if his mere presence in training has some kind of positive impact, then that’s better than nothing.

It may already have been mentioned, but just training isn’t necessarily a sign of anything more. Might just want to gauge where he is. For the kind use of our facilities, who knows, maybe he has some useful contacts in return.

1 Like

So why when fans say the recruitment has been poor then want Walsall to sign a player no one else wants?

1 Like

Difference with Dann vs other old men we signed

He played last year In The championship
Position doesn’t rely overly on pace
He may actually care about the club with previous ties
He is a leader and captain
He isn’t really In it for a last payday as he had premier league money
He was a premier league player and at his prime a hugely Better player than williams , Hussey, ward , Liddle etc etc

7 Likes

Already have sweet heart :+1:t3:

Because, and you really seem to be struggling with this, we are desperate for players at centre half.

Nothing against Taylor Allen, but i’d feel more confident with Dann playing CB.

3 Likes

No shit :joy: but apparently we shouldn’t sign anyone ever again because we’ve cocked it up before.

2 Likes