Scunthorpe United (A), 11th August 3pm

"Any old iron, any old iron,
Any any any old iron…"

(Famous music-hall song from long ago, sung most notably by Harry Champion, and more recently by Peter Sellers)

Unusual scorelines (repeated) stay in the memory bank, and whenever I see Scunthorpe United mentioned I automatically think of a 1-4 defeat. Between 2012 and 2016 we managed to lose to The Iron THREE TIMES at home by that margin. Fortunately this game is away, and our most recent visits have produced a win, a draw and a defeat, and no game produced more than a single goal.

The Iron started their League One campaign at The Ricoh stadium, where their game mirrored ours against Plymouth Argyle - they went behind but fought back to win 1-2, and this despite Coventry City featuring their new signing Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila. Scunthorpe’s come-back goal was scored by Stephen Humphrys (on loan from Fulham), who will be one to watch out for. Another of their players who always seems to do well against us is Lee Novak - enough said.

Scunthorpe were good enough last season to make the play-offs but came off second best in their semi-final against Rotherham United, going down 4-2 over the two games.

So we find ourselves in the unforeseen position of top-of-the-table (well, if you ignore goal difference), with the possibility that Dean Keates may further strengthen the squad by the time this fixture kicks off. A strong central midfielder seems to be top of his shopping list, as it’s doubtful whether Football League regulations would allow Adam Chambers to take the field complete with Zimmer Frame - and even though Liam Kinsella performed well in replacing the captain against Plymouth Argyle we are somewhat stretched in that department. In the strikers section we now seem to have almost an embarrassment of riches - the partnership of Andy Cook and Morgan Ferrier got off to a very good start (when it’s considered they only met the day before the game), and it can only improve if both players stay fit. A much-improved Ginnelly and Ismail have the wing positions under their control, and MOM George Dobson has the reliable Fitzwater to venture upfield for the corner kicks.

So … what could possibly go wrong? :thinking:

Enough of this positivity!!! Prediction time, and I will be very pleased with a point from this one. Let’s say 1-1, with Andy Cook muscling his way to the scoreline.

1 Like

Saturday will be the first game I have missed at Scunthorpe since I moved to Hull in 1973. Sadly the football league computer did not allow for the family wedding i shall be at in Dorset.
In a spirit of renewed optimism - 2.1 to the saddlers. Cook & Ferrier

1 Like

1-1 draw. That should’ve been the score last season as I thought despite finishing top 6 Scunny were really poor. Hopefully with better strikers now a point can be secured which would represent a very solid start.

They had a good win at Coventry but think their 11 is weaker than last season.

I can see us nicking a 1-0 win from a set piece.

i can see us getting a very creditable 1-1

I’ll be there for our 2nd straight win.:smiley:

I’ll be heading up! Despite Scunthorpe always seeming to be a top six side, any side with a capable forward can and do cause them problems. 2-2 draw for me and a very good start to the season.

Think home teams will find us far more difficult to break down this year. That said, Scunny got a good win at Coventry so would be happy with a score draw.

1 Like

1-1 for me…which would be a good result.

I fear this is a battling loss. Hope they prove me wrong.

You’re probably right. Early optimism is lovely but doesn’t disguise the fact we’ve only won 7 of our last 46 away games in the league.

A 1-1 draw and I’ll absolutely take that.

Really looking forward to the season now, with Cookie “I hate losing” and Ferrier bombing forward attacking defenders, Cookie WILL score a hatful.
We can go to Scunny felling confident for a change, we can and will win, it may be 4-3 but confidence is high, we HAVE an attack, no longer fluffy featherweight crud.
Come on you Saddlers!!!

Pretty sure I’ll be there for this and hope a fair few hundred also make the trip.

Any points return would be brilliant, but I’m hoping that everyone who was involved last week is fit and they can demonstrate all of the attributes we saw in that opening day win.

1-1. 475 Saddlers to see it.

1-1 or 2-1 to us is what I’m fancying. Don’t think it will be particular pretty either way, but points over performance for me.

Hopefully that will count for not a lot given the changes in personnel of late.
I saw us beat them 1-0 there a couple of years ago before Whitney got his hands on the wheel.
Will be a good test and a draw or win will be an excellent result.

1 Like

1-0 to Walsall, but I’ll take 1-1.

Scunthorpe sold Duane Holmes to Derby and Ivan Toney to Posh (they must’ve signed about 50 players this summer) today.

Two of their better players so certainly a weaker 11 than back end of last season.

Toney was only on loan there last season, he left Newcastle for Peterborough today

Toney transfer seems to started a little spat between one of the Barnsley CEO’s and the Peterborough chairman on Twitter. Strange club…