So where's the signings then?

Deano is doing the right thing (EandS Article) in not getting carried away and jumping in with contracts.

Comes a point though when he will have to quit on his original targets and make a decision.

Iā€™ve got every sympathy with Keates and the budget and so on but my question would be why havenā€™t any of the trialists signed? Brewitt has been on trial for 2 weeks now and played two games and looked good, the cypriot has been on trial for over three weeks and has impressed me.

Still think there will be a number of loans once the window for transfers shuts and PL & Championship clubs know their teams for the year but it would be nice to have something more concrete in place.

I actually have no idea what the clubs policies are anymore or what they are trying to achieve, the fact we are all optimistic about signing trialists worries me.

1 Like

They havenā€™t signed because he has other options he is waiting on - and I suggest those options are preferred.

Brewitt having never played a 1st team match at 21 years of ageā€¦what was Keates saying about our own kids - being no longer kids - and should have 50 appearances to their name?!

Desperation signing in my book.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we have an experienced signing outside of the window - I assume free transfers are still possible?

Andy Butler signed in October if I remember correctly.

I am happy for us to do likewise with squad players (rather than panicking and making mistakes) but we are going to need a centre back and centre mid before kick off.

Very much agree, we need that experienced additions. Doubt we will see a CM though.

Whitney waited and that turned out well

Well the optimism comes from watching them play. Iā€™m only talking about the ones that impressed. For example Mbulu I thought did nothing against Ajax of note and was rescued by Eggert and Mitchell (apparently) on a couple of occasions.

Harsh to call it a desperation signing, weā€™ve seen him play twice and heā€™s been on trial for some time. Hardly like we would be signing him last minute of the transfer window is it? Could turn out to be better than some League one journeyman with 100 appearances to his name. I agree about experience but I severely hope heā€™s not the only one and thatā€™s us done.

1 Like

No I agree with some of this , trialists are exactly that for a reason. 9/10 its because other clubs donā€™t want them.

you also have to factor in the pre-season effect , I have seen many players look like world beaters in friendlies yet get found out in competitive games.

Is it the risk we should be taking?

I think a club of our size has to take risks on young players who have been released from bigger clubs. Sawyers (for example) hadnā€™t played a vast amount of first team football before he joined us, but had obvious potential that was developed through playing regularly.

2 Likes

Arenā€™t virtually all of our signings free agents though? Which is basically what a trialist is but with the benefit of watching them play and train first?

no I donā€™t disagree , I am merely pointing out that we shouldnā€™t be getting our hopes to high. We still need proven quality.

1 Like

Proven quality costs an awful lot of money!

So does being relegated.

2 Likes

Canā€™t wait for all these signings this week, my word they will have plenty of opportunity to gell into a rele, sorry, promotion squad!

Latest album from the artist formally known as AM- Now Thatā€™s What I Call Whinging - 100 greatest hits!

2 Likes

I mean Iā€™m less than impressed with the squad as it stands.

But when you predict relegation and insolvency every single year, like some kind of doomsday predictor giving dates on the end of the world then just moving it a year every time you are wrong, it kind of loses itā€™s impact.

Canā€™t believe Worsul is a reincarnation of AM yet.
Worsul hasnā€™t gone off on a cob about other supporters loffin at us yet - AM used to be beside himself about Chesterfield fansā€¦