Some of the BEST players to don a Walsall shirt

Stan Bennett. Nick Athey, Shaky,Martin O’Connor

1 Like

Stuart Rimmer was good------but never forget him missing loads of one on ones with goalie at Hereford in the cup. They scored winner near the end and then drew Man Utd in the cup! The draw was on radio live on the way home…nearly crashed the car!!!

2 Likes

As an oldie Tony Richards Colin Taylor Albert McPherson Jimmy McMoran.
Best strikers Alan Buckley Alan Clarke
Best target men George Kirby Andy Ramell

4 Likes

Have I missed Ian Paul being mentioned? Really classy player and surely destined for greatness and a much higher level if his career hadn’t been finished by the mystery illness he picked up. He was also a very fine cricketer.

Otherwise, Buckley, Peron, Samways, Cross, Naughton, Henry, Sawyers, Oztumer and an honorary mention for Don Goodman I reckon.

4 Likes

Peron. Boli. Junior. Jorge. Dann. Ledesma. Romaine. Bradshaw.

3 Likes

Darren Byfield was a good player.

Romaine Sawyers. Easy choice.

1 Like

Just to add, anyone who thinks he’s lazy knows nothing about football.

1 Like

Richards, Buckley, Jeff Peron and Colin Taylor.

2 Likes

Add Oztumer and Samways to the list. Samways was poetry in motion. Top class player!

1 Like

Agree with you Chunky, decent player, but has to make the list for that winning goal at Cardiff for me.

Most of all my other favourites have been mentioned by many posters

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned goalkeeper Phil Parkes, he was our keeper when I first started going to games at Fellows Park with my dad, who I have to blame for my lifetime support of Walsall, but I am so glad he did bring me to matches at Fellows Park.

It was watching Parksey that saw me take the goalkeeping path myself at school, he was a superb goalkeeper back then and went on to do well at QPR I think it was.

4 Likes

Mark Wallington was another good keeper too, I think he took over from Parkes, also used to love Freddie Barber and his masks, but was also very good keeper. Of course Jimmy was also my favourite most recent goalkeeper

2 Likes

Jorge Leitao - my absolute hero when I was younger

2 Likes

My first game was in 1997/98, but I only remember from 2000 onwards really, but in that time I’ve (as well all have) been extremely fortunate to watch some fantastic players play for us.

A few who stand out are Sawyers, Bradshaw and Henry from Smith’s nearly team and Oztumer from Whitney’s disastrous spell due to the amount of points he single handedly won for us on more than one occasion.

Some of the players we had in the Championship under Colin Lee were great to watch - Samways, Ritchie, Junior, O’Neill, Baird. Then you could talk about Graydon’s teams with Aranalde, Matias, Viveash, Leitao and Wrack.

You could then also add Ledesma, Cuvelier, Fryatt, Fox and Dann were great for us. All down to personal preference I guess. One player I never saw unfortunately was Jeff Peron, but have heard only amazing things.

3 Likes

Best player I’ve ever watched play in a Walsall shirt is Liam Brady.

4 Likes

Buckley was my hero growing up in the late 70s but samways was in my opinion the best player i have seen in a walsall shirt

2 Likes

Liam brady remember that game god he was good even at that stage of his life

1 Like

I can never remember who’s testimonial game it was?

1 Like

And just as an aside the term Poetry in Motion began with the 1961 song by Johnny Tillotson.