Some of the BEST players to don a Walsall shirt

More of a possitive thread, some of the best that have played for us, and would walk into the side now, i will start with one of my alltime favorite the buck

3 Likes

Jean Francois Peron.

5 Likes

and what a player he was :wink:

1 Like

Tony Richards, Albert McPherson, Colin Taylor, Ken Hodgkisson, Allan Clarke, Roy Faulkner, Gordon Chilvers, Bill Gutteridge, Tony Barras, Pedro Matias, Zigor Aranalde, (et al)

3 Likes

Vinny Samways

4 Likes

Wish we’d had him for longer. One of the most gifted and exquisite players I’ve seen play for us

1 Like

Never saw him waste a pass. Didnt he used to fly back to Spain after every game then come back just before the next match?

2 Likes

Yes but i think the travelling got to much for him in the end

I started going to games in 2000/01 season so many of that team are like heroes to me. If I had to pick only say 3 I’d pick:

• Bukran
  • Matias
  • Wrack
2 Likes

That’d be a good team to watch :grinning:

1 Like

Romaine Sawyers.

8 Likes

Mini Preece

3 Likes

Paul Merson :wink:

Had a fairly quiet debut :joy:

2 Likes

Roger Boli the goal against man u earned him a place in Saddlers folklore

1 Like

Joachim had some decent seasons in the premier league and also pretty much keep kept Walsall on his own in last 10 games of 04/05, just delayed things for a year.

In recent times Oztumer was class, averaging 15 goals a year plus decent amount of assists.

2 Likes

No way he may have been a great player for other clubs but apart from one game he was crap for us.
I am talking about Merson by the way in case of any misunderstanding

2 Likes

Andy Rammell, certainly not for his technical ability. But he dragged the team through many a big game, and absolutely terrorised defenders for 90 minutes.

In all my time watching WFC , I can’t ever remember a Walsall team ever looking so dangerous when putting balls into the box.

Legend!

5 Likes

Scott Dann - class to watch
Jean ‘Jeff’ Peron - christ I wish he had been with us in one of our more successful seasons. Outstanding player.
Johnny Hodge - not always consistent, but great to watch his whippet runs.
Jimmy Walker - just a solid consistent keeper for us.

6 Likes

I just caught the tail end of Alan Buckleys career but even then as a young lad I could see how good he was, then I was lucky enough to witness the superb David ‘mini’ Preece. David Kelly became the darling of the terraces with his goalscoring and nous. Graeme Forbes was a rock who spilled plenty of blood in the name of walsall fc. Martin O’Connor was everything you want in a midfielder. In the modern era I always thought Neil Etheridge was the best walsall keeper I’ve seen although I get that Jimmy Walker was a legend.

5 Likes