State of the pitch

I can’t understand why they don’t roll out some astro turf to protect the pitch when they are warming up. Roll it out to cover the front of the goals at the side of the pitch. We’ve got 4 goalmouths on our pitch, must be the only ones in the league!

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand how the hybrid type of astro isn’t allowed at our level.
I seen it in Malta at their national stadium, for those that are unsure what it it Google it and take a look, it would stop postponed games and playing surface is immaculate.

It is allowed. All the prem teams use it and I believe Stockport do also….

Not sure if there are differing grades that are / aren’t allowed in terms of how much is allowed to be synthetic.

if we’re talking about grass with artificial fibres inter woven then nearly all the top clubs use it I believe as you say

1 Like

Wasnt aware of this, thanks for clarification, I can only imagine it’s too expensive for lower league clubs then, I know in Malta the guy told us (we did stadium tour) they throw the grass clippings on the pitch for them to take root.
All if the Maltese premier league games take place at the national stadium (I thinks it’s 2 on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday, 8 clubs in premier) so must be hard wearing.

I think the pitch is something Trivela will address in the off season. Maybe they will look at undersoil heating, expensive, but it’s also a long-term solution. We used to have an immaculate playing surface, even managers whose home pitch isn’t that great are complaining abut ours.
The Villa ladies not playing on it would help, we must be getting a good deal from Villa for it to continue.
I know a lot of L2 pitches are very heavy at this time of the year, mainly weather related, some are a lot worse than others.
I have today our pitch is a lot worse for wear than I’ve seen it for several years, ironically, we’re playing good football on it. I think it’s something Trivela should consider in the summer.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, it plays like grass as it essentially is grass but the artificial fibres bind it together making it more robust is my understanding of it. I half thought we already had it at Bescot but cant find anything online where there is commentary on previous pre season commentary on works on the playing surface.

I’d say no chance. I read that it costs around half a million to install it and around £1200 a day to run it. How many games have we had called off at Bescot for a frozen pitch? It’s not a solution at all to the pitch being in better condition.

The amount of rain we have is a bigger problem I’d say. Not sure we have ever had a great pitch at Bescot, it has been far worse in the past than it is now.

8 Likes

Unless Villa pay for it.

If Bescot is to become Villa’s second home they should spend some money on it.

Providing there’s no permanent claret and blue obviously.

1 Like

Possibly moving on?

1 Like

Unless they move to Villa Park, I think that is unlikely.

The only other stadium that I can think of in the West Midlands (aside from Molineux, St Andrews and the Hawthorns) that would be big enough is Kidderminster Harriers.

EDIT.
What is the capacity of the Athletics stadium at Perry Barr post Commonwealth Games?
I wouldn’t like to watch football in an Athletics stadium, but its in the right location for Villa fans…

Synthetic pitches are allowed in the highest levels of European football, you can play on a synthetic pitch in all the rounds of the Champions League except the final.
But they are deemed unsuitable for Division 4 in England.

1 Like

That’s what it suggests yeah :man_shrugging:t2:

A unique WFC solution needs to be found. There must be some way to dig pits and instal strategically placed subterranean braziers especially within the notoriously problematic away end of the pitch. We would presumably need to develop a series of tunnels incorporating a conveyor system to feed the braziers, along with a system to withdraw the spent ashes, whilst also having a reliable ignition process to generate the heat. I imagine that some form of heat shield would have to be introduced above the braziers to protect the sub-grade and pitch above from extreme heat. You may have realised that I am not an engineer, but feel sure there are suitably qualified folk on here to get it designed and the idea emailed to the SLO.

4 Likes

Just play above the grass like float
Wet isn’t an issue then

If Wimbledon can have a roof , we can. :grinning:

It would serve us well, however the last time we messed with the stadium, it turned out to be a right racquet.

2 Likes

What have I done.

7 Likes

How about using the methane seeping from the sewerage beds that the ground was built on.:grin::grin::grin:

Yes indeed. We suffered the consequences for seemingly Yonex. The baseline is it’s ace to have Trivela hopefully turn it around at a stroke. Absolutely smashing.