Stephen Ward

I was stunned when he signed.
But i was even more stunned when i saw him play :joy:

2 Likes

Can’t remember him having a single decent game for us. Could tell his legs had gone first time I saw him play.

I’m sure he was a great “character”.

2 Likes

Leyton Orient away he was very good. Boring game but only because we were so solid, which he was a part of. One of the few players that actually looked like a professional against Kings Lynn (which to be fair was probably his level).

3 Likes

All the best to him.

1 Like

wish him all the best, a step too far this season for him

Who can blame him for wanting another season, as it proved he wasn’t up to it. He still had enough confidence in his own ability (as we all would have stubbornly done) but unfortunately for him and us it wasn’t to be.

1 Like

By doing a little bit of research into last season where according to his previous clubs fans he was past it then too, okay it’s a league difference but to pin all of our hopes on a man who’s legs had clearly gone in the league above, yet thinking he’s capable of playing every game in a season we were going to ‘give it a good go’ is stupid. But hey, this is Pomlett’s Walsall, only only have to look at Fullarton to see we don’t do our research beforehand.

2 Likes

We’ve not seen the best of him but he was the ultimate pro, I don’t think you’ll find anyone inside the football operations will have a bad word to say about him. I am sure all Saddlers will join me in wishing him all the best in his future endeavours.

5 Likes

It was certainly a poor piece of recruitment but I always liked Ward - he had the right attitude and I am sure he felt bad that he could not contribute more. I hope he goes on to be a success in whatever he does.

4 Likes

Get yourself down to Ian’s Fishing Tackle in Penkridge and get yourself a better line and some better bait.

3 Likes

Perhaps Mr Ward can make himself useful for the balance of his contract by operating my turnstile?
I would then get the chance to say ta-ra and thanks to him.

3 Likes

Stephen Ward, 29 almost entirely forgettable appearances in one season = a big send off, videos, the lot.

Adam Chambers, 314 appearances in 8 years, captain. Not. A. Word.

21 Likes

I absolutely agree with your point. I loved Chambers as a player, he was one of the best servants at the club for years and he’s been the big miss since he retired. But…I wonder if there was a little bit of bad feeling at the end? My recollection is that an offer was on the table for him to potentially keep playing but I got the feeling that Chambers never committed one way or the other. Maybe I’m wrong but I seem to remember the manager being asked several times about him and saying he had heard nothing. So he never really had that opportunity for the big send off, or one last game. I think he had interests outside of football didn’t he, which, in the end, proved more enticing.

1 Like

He committed for 318 apps, he deserved as send off from this piss poor football club.

3 Likes

Sorry Rob I’m only repeating what several others have mentioned already on the thread. His performances have been dissapointing bit the mind was willing if the body was not and he goes with our best wishes.

1 Like

I never even thought about this, but it is a very valid point and speaks volumes of the club.

Maybe its because he wasn’t an international footballer or hadn’t played in the Premier League? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Wasn’t Chambers unhappy that DC said " I told him he could come in for a trial "

Just to add to the above , I seem to remember that DC took up his position and Chambers was injured and then his contract terminated. Think it was then DC made the remark after someone inquired about the player .

1 Like

You can see where DC was coming from, Chambers is only worth a trial but his mates like Sinclair, Liddle and Guthrie were worth a contract :rofl:

7 Likes

Looks that way.