Stephen Ward

Has announced his retirement from football

https://mobile.twitter.com/WFCOfficial/status/1517405341914472449

1 Like

Thank goodness. Should have happened 9 months ago imo. What a waste of a decent wage out of a tight budget this season. A testament to the complete failure of Fullerton to bring someone in that couldn’t run or tackle or even strategically manage a game. Can’t remember a game where he did well.
Will not be remembered with any affection by the majority of fans.

4 Likes

He was a waste, no doubt brought in for his experience and probably what he can add off the field too yet due to our awful recruitment we ended up having to try to rely on a man clearly no longer fit enough to play, far too much.

1 Like

He was on sky last night covering the Burnley game

1 Like

Maybe will become a pundit like a host of other ex-pros. I think he did quite well on his appearance last night.

2 Likes

To be fair he is one I couldn’t fault for effort but it was clear from the Tranmere game on the opening day his legs had gone. Wish him well as by all accounts he has been a really positive figure in the dressing room and has worked with some of the younger lads too

4 Likes

Before we shoot down the recruitment process, on paper this would have liked like a gamble worth making. Over the years we’ve routinely picked up players like this - it’s just a consequence of the budget we have to work with. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t - but how was anyone to know that he didn’t even have a part-season left in his locker.

10 Likes

Congratulations on a very successful career.

Best of luck for the future.

7 Likes

He’s had a good career but been useless for us. Good luck to him in whatever he does in the future.

1 Like

He hasn’t been very good on the field, Flynn loves what he does in the dressing room.
I can see us keeping him on the coaching staff.

2 Likes

I thought he looked tired and legless after 15 minutes.

Got way more stick than he was due, probably because of his dog head tendencies, but nowhere near good enough for this level. Also completely burned out by being the only left back at the club and playing every single minute of every single game for the first half of the season at 36 so not entirely a surprise.

3 Likes

The bit that deserves shooting down is gambling on him then not bringing in a backup option. Which people foresaw at the time.

You can get away with your legs going in some positions, but as a slow full back he became very exposed, and opposition teams ruthlessly exploited this.
Not his fault- but certainly the fault of whoever signed him.
He’s taken a fair bit of stick here but like the good pro he is, he has never bitten back - take note Oss.
Good luck to him for the future.

1 Like

Indeed. Makes me laugh when people whinge about certain players getting more stick than others. Has anyone stood behind the goal and listened to what is said about Ward? Yeah he’s shit, but some people would moan if he passed, moan if he lumped it, moan if he went out to the winger, moan if he tucked inside, moan if he went in for the challenge, moan if he stood his man up, literally couldn’t win.

Hopefully the first of many players not good enough off loaded.

All the best ward thank you for your efforts.
A good hard working pro who if we’d have signed 10 years ago would have been rated like Rico, that’s worth something

2 Likes

It was a season too far for him.

He probably knew that himself quite early on. So my biggest disappointment is that it wasn’t called by all parties before Christmas.

Wish him well.

1 Like

Had a fantastic career and I wish him all the best.

3 Likes

Perhaps it was this that saved us from relegation?

Every little helps!

I was stunned when we signed such a well known face, but early on in the season knew that as PT puts it, ‘it was a season too far for him’.
Wish him well in all he does in the future.

1 Like