Strengthening in January?

Watched the first five episodes of the new Sunderland documentary on Netflix yesterday, which offers an interesting insight into the January transfer window from the viewpoint of their Chief Exec and the manager at the time (Chris Coleman).

What it really highlighted was how important mid-season league positions can be in relation to getting loan players in. Despite their ground, stadium, support etc they struggle to get signings in because they are in the bottom three and, presumably, players don’t want a relegation on their CV.

Seem to remember us going into last January in the bottom half having not won a game in December, so you have to wonder how much that contributed to what was a seemingly poor transfer window. Would like to think that staying within touching distance of the play-offs could put us in good stead for the next window, which makes Saturday’s result all the more disappointing.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with that…we may need to replace loan players who go back to their parent club but very little else needs to be done. Obviously I would like to see another striker brought in because although we have conceded a fair number of goals we haven’t scored enough either. Cover at left back would also be useful but other than that I would wait until the Summer.

1 Like

Notice that Dan Agyei has been scoring for Burnley’s U23’s. Wouldn’t mind him returning for six months.

1 Like

I’d take him back. Thought he was underrated by many of our fans.

2 Likes

I though he was decent. Would certainly help to put pressure on the existing strikers.

I’d like to see him up top with Cook. Far less selfish than Ferrier and a better finisher than both Ferrier and Gordon.

Personally think him and Ferrier are much of a muchness. Agyei 8 goals in 46 League games, Ferrier 3 goals in 22 league games. 0.2 goals a game plays 0.1 goals a game.

I would rather look for somebody else. There has to be better out there.

I think it would depend on how he’d be used. In a front two he’d be excellent with Cook, but he was never up to playing as a lone striker. He looked a class above on his debut when played as part of a two with Bakayoko. I remember him being a real handful, and us looking far worse when he went off. I think we got spanked the next game and then reverted to one up top for most of the rest of his spell here where he didn’t really have the attributes to play that role.

1 Like

I agree. As a 2 with Cook I think he’d shine.

Would be interesting to know if Keates has been in contact with Smith since the latter took the Villa job. They must have some talented youngsters that need match time.

No thanks…we can do better than that.

1 Like

" IF ", and i say again … IF we are looking to strengthen permanently rather than a loan for loan
we should make a move for Norwood as i feel someone will come in for him January with his goal’s again proving how good he has been so far this season .

We won’t get another chance after that , and we may have a upper hand on other team’s if he feel’s like his partnership with Cook suited him , and may benefit his progression .

3 Likes

Calum O’Hare, making the bench now but could do with a loan.

Andre Green would’ve been a possible in August but he went to Portsmouth.

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, been hyped for years but never actually plays and picks up so many injuries.

Kienan Davis, made an impression last year but been injured for ages. Was back on the bench on Saturday but will struggle to get a regular game.

Jacob Bedeau. No relation to Tony to ease some nerves. He was signed from Bury 18 months ago at 17 and been playing in youths since so loan move to league 1 at this stage would be sensible move and CB will be needed in January.

Few there to possibly enquire about.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t have an issue with that, Norwood’s goal record in non league like Cookie is incredible and he seems to be scoring every week in league 2 so showing he can step up. I agree if interested he’d fancy linking up with his old strike partner.

It’s a policy Peterborough have been masters of for last 10 years…Mackail-Smith, George Boyd, Dwight Gayle, Assombalonga, Jack Marriott. All free scoring in non league, scored hatfuls for Posh and they made incredible profits on all of them selling them to championship/premier league clubs.

Only issue I have is they play a kamikaze attacking style so that suits the forwards they sign.

The Keates style is more safety first and with the miniscule budget it’s difficult to get playmakers in midfield and out wide so they won’t get as many chances at previous clubs.

2 Likes

I’d love us to sign James Norwood but I highly doubt we could afford him. Unless we can pull 500k out are arses he definitely won’t be coming to us. I’d imagine the better clubs in this division would be looking at him as well.

The only way we’re signing James Norwood is by hoping no-one makes a cash bid in January, then waiting until his contract expires at the end of the season and offering a better deal than he can get anywhere else, or at Tranmere.

By which I mean, we’re not going to sign James Norwood.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s no chance of us even being in the reckoning for Norwood.

I’m reasonably happy with the squad at the moment, an additional wide player to take the burden off Zeli, Ginnelly and Morris would be welcome and potentially another centre if, and when, Fitzwater returns to the Albion.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be overkill,look how many strikers we have in the squad now.If we were to sign someone it would have to be at least 2 defenders.

1 Like

Depends @SidSwifty, Ferrier and Gordon aren’t scoring regularly so we’re a bit reliant on Cook.

You’re right though, we need to bring in new defenders at some point.

1 Like

We’re not a rich club as you know Simon.Its up to the manager and his coaching staff to get the best out of the players he has already got before getting anyone else in.With Edwards and Chambers coming back in the new year I think the midfield Is ok for numbers at least.Keates has got 3/4 out and out strikers plus wingers.When the loan players go back he will be down to 4 tried and tested defenders.