Thank You Bonser

As I’ve said in other posts and I agree with you by the way - JB has no interest in what league we play, his rental income and financial position is an ever producing entity. It isn’t wholly reliant in any way on what happens on the field…

1 Like

Historically it’s least fuss with Walsall in League One, although with budget being so low now because of no strategy for growth or even maintaining our position we are falling behind, so a drop to league two is looking more and more likely, and will become the ‘new normal’.

1 Like

Do you know what my biggest worry is?
we will sign some fantastic players, we will be saved from relegation and therefore fueling the perpetual momentum of mediocre football that has preseeded us if that makes sense after a few glasses of wine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Signing some fantastic players? You must have had a few glasses! :joy:

I understand what you mean though. It’s just death by a thousand cuts. So we survive this season - then what? It can only go on like this for so long. Oldham were the archetypal third tier side like us- they were stuck in the division for something like 20 years straight. Even they fell foul last season and ended up going down, coupled with a circus of their own going on behind the scenes.

1 Like

The way things are going it could be a quick painful death. I was a little disappointed when Chesterfield got relegated from League One, only as it was the closest ground to visit to watch us. Carry on like we are on and off the pitch and we will be playing them again in 2 years.

To be fair, we probably won’t because they look like they’re doing a York, Stockport or Torquay and heading down again

You’ve got a point, they’ve got a huge relegation battle going on and can’t see them turning things round. Well we may see them in 3 years then and that’s if both towns still have a football clubs.

God just listen to me, well depressed with the current state and fearing the worst.

This has been our Chairmans approach for years now that any sign of … " the peasants are revolting again , we better make a couple of quick signings or sack the manager " … anything just to take the heat off himself so the money making machine which he is the ’ number one fan of ’ can carry on without the fans giving him a rough ride

3 Likes

I’m really considering supporting from a distance. What’s the point of turning up every week? I’m just lining Bonsers pocket. ■■■■ I can probably get around ifollows restrictions anyway and watch them in my nice front room, go to the toilet without having to wade through ■■■■ and wash my hands with my own hot tap.

Changing managers changing players it doesn’t matter. We need a manager who is managing way below his level to make a success of this these days. He doesn’t back the club.

They had a chance to build this club at the end of the 90s. It “failed” twice and he pulled the plug. Why the should I as a fan support that.

5 Likes

Join the club El_nombre

Sad but true

Staying away hurts the team and has no effect on Bonser. This is because the rent cheque is the first to be paid every month regardless. That means the base income from the market, The Venue, the advertising sign, etc, all pay the rent.

What’s left over goes to the football club’s actual football.

So if you don’t turn up the side is poorer, but if you do, you’re the financial cherry on top, not just the base layer.

Hope that helps. Bonser will still be laughing.

6 Likes

I get people wanting to stay at home and watch on ifollow but that isn’t really what any of us want is it , and it could become part of the reason we’ll end up with none attended football matches of the future with people getting more and more lazy , with your computer shopping , your meals delivered via the computer etc etc

I know where you’re coming from @el_nombre but you like me get the best enjoyment from being there , and being involved in the atmosphere ( don’t laugh ) its not the same sat in front of the tv watching it , its not what any of us really want , but by the same token we don’t want to be wasting our money lining that bastards pockets either .

So the sooner we try and push this money sucking bastard out the better so we can all start to support our team again , and hopefully show some of our ’ bigger ’ neighbours a crowd growth to a simular size with someone at the helm that has some ambition for a successful team.

2 Likes

Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make to the section of fans that think Bonser can be starved out by just not going. The commercial / event side brings in enough money to cover the rent and fixtures / fittings on its own. Any drop in attendance will be just taken off the football side. The football side is just a sideshow to where the real money comes in.

I’m sure if Bonser could separate the 2 he would but remember the commercial side is part of the club and Bonser doesn’t solely own the club so can’t split it off.

2 Likes

If that were the case he’d close the club tomorrow and just turn it into a glorified working men’s club. I’m sceptical that there would be no financial impact on Bonser whatsoever if there were a drop in fans.

For example, last time finances were tight Hecht his rent cheque in half. He was still getting money from his ■■■■ pantos and advertising boards then.

How else do the fans get the change that many want, Exile? I don’t believe for a minute that the Bonser’s will sell due to the massive tax liability. Better to hand the pot down the family line.

I am looking looking at it holistically. There is an interdependence between the football side and the commercial side. I wonder how many supporters go the the market / functions in the stadium / Bonser suite?
How much of Gamble/Mole and others employment costs are apportioned between football and non-football activities? Same with maintenance / Utility etc.
The protests / sanctions should be aimed at the commercial side also, not just the football side. as El_Nombre pointed out, sponsorship deals and publicity are there because of the football club.

In the end, It all depends how much people want regime change as opposed to the bogs being mopped, a few extra pies in the kiosks and some tweaks to the ticketing policy.

The rent is not the be all and end all of the Bonser empire.

1 Like

You’ll have to bare with me, how can a landlord rent his own place back to himself and if he doesn’t meet his own the rental agreement evict himself or am I missing something.

I was led to believe he WAS going to split it when we had potential buyers of the club .

Apparently when Doug Ellis was looking to buy , and other interested syndicates that was the reason they all fell through because Bonser wanted to keep the commercial / banqueting etc , and just sell the Football side of his business Empire ( which just goes to show where that comes in his priorities)

Steve,
My understanding is that Bonser is the owner of the club due to the percentage of shares he owns. He can out vote all of the other shareholders by some distance therefore all major decisions need his approval.
If he decided to sell then obviously the other shareholders would receive their percentage of the proceeds.

The landlord is the pension fund of which the Bonser brothers are beneficiaries.

However the club isn’t solely theirs. They only own around 2/3 of the shares.

And that’s exactly why any potential buyers are put off even though Bonser says the club is for sale.

Why would any businessman / investor want to buy a club without the commercial side which brings in most of the money! :roll_eyes: