The Mat Sadler Thread

It has been Trivela’s stated ambition from day one to be a sustainable League One club that is pushing for further promotion. There could be many thoughts on the strategy needed to achieve that, but suffice to say that myself and my partners are highly competitive people, and this is a club with a tremendous history and legacy – and what we can all agree on is that we want to advance the club out of this league

Only two ways to achieve promotion, automatic and play-offs, so play-offs is the obvious logical minimum benchmark for any club that intends to achieve promotion.

10 Likes

Ok. My take on that is that they want to be a (top) league one club at some future point, but didnt put a timescale on it. By and large id say there actions have been consistent with trying to strengthen the playing side with the aim of getting to league one, although I find it frustrating we have had another season with strikers on loan.

I think next season will be awkward for them if there isnt a play off challenge.

2 Likes

They should be judged this season on delivering incremental progress as that bar can be as low as one league position higher technically. If we fail against that low bar then it should be awkward for them.

Feel free to join in the adult discussion going on at any time pal.

I had one of those once.

If that’s the case then its a fair question as why with stronger playing resources the outcome has been equally as poor. Surely the scrutiny has to be on the management of the football side, including (but not limited to) Sadler himself, with the actual appointment of Sadler being the real nub. There’s no way any of the other broader points raised by BB in his letter regarding what the football side of things would look like going forward have been delivered in any world that doesn’t begin and end with last Feb-April as the sole bar of reference.

2 Likes

Not on here you didn’t :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely not on here, it was with my dog, and to my knowledge she doesnt have an uts account

1 Like

I am pretty certain that the early bird period this season will be awkward for them unless there is significant change in form or personnel.

Please dont quote the actual club statements mate. It sucks the wind totally out of all the apologist nonsense.

I read through Boycotts ‘crystal clear football strategy’ after the Crawley game. I have said numerous times I like the bloke and respect what Trivela are doing off pitch, but on the actual football side we are absolutely no further on. Thats the cold faced, bare reality. The usual people will tell us the same nonsense they have for 5 years with absolutely nothing but blind faith to back it up. Trivela need to appoint an experienced football person to run the football side of the club.

Trivela need to appoint a football person or a CEO with some success in the game. I actually have belief that they will, though.

8 Likes

This is exactly it for me. We have moved forward in almost all areas that needed addressing and performance on the pitch hasn’t followed.

The club is reinventing itself and there is an opportunity that we need to take advantage of. Off the field is getting better, the academy structure improving, we own the stadium now, commercial side improving, squad improving, playing budget is improving. All of it is rapidly improving.

The coaching/managerial side is the glaring weakness for me.

4 Likes

In fairness to Trivela the football side is probably the hardest fix especially from the mess they inherited. But still had time to have seen more improvement than we have.
Correct CEO appointment is vital to get us going.

2 Likes

So, here we are, coming into the final stretch of a season that has played out very similarly to last season. Start poorly, then have a period of good results, and then stall after the January transfer window when we lose our best striker who was only signed on a 6-month loan!

On paper, we have some good players: Evans/Smith, Liam Gordon, The Priest, Daniels, Stirk, Hutchinson, DJ. However, the recurring pattern is that we just don’t have enough quality where it matters: in attack. I’m not sure what our game plan is: is it just to press and absorb pressure and hit teams on the counter, or do plan to wear them down with creative football? I think it’s the former, but we just do not create enough chances. Add to that the fact that all of our strikers, apart from DJT (!), are on very poor goalscoring runs and we concede very poor goals, then you can see why we are where we are!!

The table doesn’t lie: I don’t think it is a case of us being mismanaged, I just don’t think that the players are good enough - end of! We are a mid-table Division 4 side. The only way that will change this season, is if DJ comes back firing and drags us into the top 10.

2 Likes

Or a very good manager at this level its either that or money have a look who has gone up in our time in this division they have one or the other or sometimes both.Sadler will not get us promoted if thats what the club are expecting then i dont see him lasting past the end of this season if its all talk then he will over to Trivela.Ainsworth would be my choice if he would come here and was promised backing.

1 Like

I would say we need both to be honest. A new manager certainly and also better quality players who can complement each other and form a solid unit.

I think in the list above i listed x4 players who i believe have the quality with x2 others perhaps.

So basically a whole new set up then

This ongoing thread is proving a very interesting read as far as I’m concerned.
I don’t profess to be any kind of tactical expert so can only comment from my somewhat limited knowledge.
I go to my seat and watch a game and see a defence that’s error prone and a team that has a habit of starting games slowly and then often look as though they are being overwhelmed.
I notice the talent that is Hutchinson and see he has games where he looks great but equally games when he’s invisible.
I watch Knowles and Gordon bringing the ball forward often beating their man and delivering a bloody horrible cross on a regular basis.
I don’t understand why DJ doesn’t get more game time when he’s dangerous in and around the box.
Off the pitch things are moving very much in the right direction, freehold, the locker to mention just two.
I’ve no idea what goes on behind the scenes but it’s a learning curve for Trivela and MS.
It seems to me Sadler wasn’t the overwhelming fans choice so maybe patience is needed but that patience has a limit and unless things (results) show an improvement especially in the coming weeks the unrest will only increase.
I’m not against giving the manager a little more time but even as someone with my limited knowledge of the complexities of the game I think he needs to stop using words like “brilliant “or “outstanding “ and my own personal favourite “not like us” because that one usually tips the scales for me.

10 Likes

It baffles me how people can say things like this with such authority. I can only assume they didn’t watch our games either last season, this season or both.

2 Likes

All fair observations, here’s my take.

In different games he’s asked to play different roles with different teammates against an opposition who treat him differently. It’s not surprising his performances vary.

Yes, this baffles me why it persists, but look at the positives of the number of times they get in a position to cross,

It will click one day and the goals will come.

I think he’s overall work rate is the issue for the way Sadler wants to play

Draper was signed on a 12 month loan but as is usual the parent club have a recall clause during January. They had players injured and needed him.By the way he hasn’t scored yet in 4 games so perhaps he should have stayed however next season we need a couple of strikers on permanent deals.

3 Likes