The Mat Sadler Thread

Whilst performances are important I would say that the ability to grind a result out of a rotten performance is key to success at this level. If that wasn’t the case Graydon and Richard Money could have reasonably led us to relegation not promotion.
We don’t seem to be able to do that anywhere near enough.

2 Likes

Looks like clear progress to me.

Clarke started from a much better point. All his squad have or went on to play at a higher level. Roberts and Scarr in the championship and Adebayo in the premier league. No way Clarke should be compared to Sadler.

I’m also tired of being labeled pro Sadler. I am pro stability. I don’t understand lots about Sadler. DJ. Evans v Smith. Our repeated inability to cross. But I’ve seen enough to know he is far and away our most tactically astute manager since Smith and am prepared to give him time.

3 Likes

Of course and if it was the Wembley play off final the result is all that matters.

But that’s not the position we find ourselves in at the moment is it.

This is pure trolling.

6 Likes

Who would you say it is then?

Matt 4-3-2-1 Taylor?

Dean long ball Keates?

Mike play the percentages Flynn?

The silly comment is ‘far and away…’.

Utter codswallop and based on absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

I think taylor was our best technical manager since smith
He just tried to much with way to limited mistake prone players

1 Like

Any 12 month loan with a January recall clause is really only a 6-month loan, in reality. We all know that if the loanee does well, then he’s going back to his parent club.

I don’t believe that Sadler is the reason we are 16th and in division 4: it’s the players not being good enough.

Don’t say that, some on here are basing their entire foundations of the “building” on the fact we have won’t have a huge squad turnover in the summer.

1 Like

Summer is obviously crucial.

If we sign a striker on a 6 month loan i think I might cry.

1 Like

Unfortunately it appears to me that we have an inexperienced manager who at this moment in his career doesn’t have the tools to make the sum greater than it’s parts and also owners that aren’t looking to buy their way out of the league.
I don’t think Sadler is going to improve quickly enough and neither are Trivela going to become cash happy. So something will change. Most likely the manager.

We’ve gone from keeping a clean sheet 33% of the time to 17% of the time, so sadly not I’m afraid.

Flynn in then

Thought AP was suggesting that our actual goals to xg goals has improved? But at the other end…
Perhaps we are adopting the we’re gonna score one more than you approach?

1 Like

Nah, you’re right.

We’ll stick with Sadler and forget about results. We could forget about performances too and just focus on gaining experience. Maybe play the under 10s?

1 Like

Im not sure what you expect me to say. You seem upset that we aren’t keeping as many clean sheets as last season, which suggests you’d prefer to have Flynn in charge

I’m more than happy to have a more risk taking approach which may result in more goals conceded and has included giving experience to the likes of Foulkes and Williams, which will put us in a better place going forward.

This is silly, I say but our goal difference is 9 worse to this stage of the season. You say something about performances.

I say the performances are worse based on almost every stat.

You say roll your eyes and suggest that I can’t see beyond the obvious.

You seem like a nice enough guy so there’s no malice here, but we won’t get anywhere and might as well leave it.

3 Likes

Andy these folks make no allowances for the age of our current squad. Just one player over 30! The second youngest in the Division. Anyway you will never convince some folk. I am a little surprised at our professor friend who obviously thinks that people cannot improve in their work or profession. Some people develop quicker than others. Like you I think Sadler has it in him to improve.

2 Likes

You are ignoring the second half of last season if you are talking about our goal difference after 30 games. It’s a completely contrived argument if we are debating if Walsall have improved under Sadler. Surely you have to point to the time he took over? What was it 1 win out of 22 before he took over?

Then you have to allow for the fact Sadler is trying to implement new ideas and give players opportunities.

Although stats are useful, it is crazy without looking at the context in which those results came about.

I think part of the problem is people can’t remember how bad we were in the second half of last season. I genuinely can’t believe people think we haven’t improved since then.