The position known as

Linking from another topic do you know if your dad had a nickname and did he ever say why Charles John Rawlings was known as Tim?

No, you misheard, fans used to say he was a useless bleeder.

Am I right in thinking that in days of yore the centre half was sometimes known as the ā€œpivotā€?
This would be back in the time of wing halves and the ā€œWā€ formation, I think.

1 Like

The ā€˜Gaffeā€™ probably wouldnā€™t make Walsallā€™s Top Ten strikers list. Although he wouldnā€™t be the only one, at the start of last (this) season the corner flag was more in danger than the goal.

Somebody recently told me that he and his mates used to call him ā€˜The Toneā€™. Though Iā€™ve never heard that before. At school on a Monday he said it was quite common to hear somebody say ā€˜Did you see that goal ā€˜The Toneā€™ scored on Saturday?ā€™. As for Tim Rawlings he just used to refer to him as Tim. I didnā€™t know that wasnā€™t his name until a few months back.

My last memory of Daffney is a good one. Against Pompey in the Mickey Mouse Cup he had the ball on the by-line and air kicked in his attempt to cross it, so the ball just ran harmlessly out of play.
It was a toss-up whether the Pompey or Saddlers fans were laughing hardest. :rofl: He might have played after that but Iā€™ve blanked it out.

I guess we will never know about ā€˜Timā€™ . As you imply his team mates probably thought that was his name. Supporters like myself certainly did at the time.