The View from The Other Side - Newport County - 6/8/22

Hoping to do these for most league games where I can make contact with a fan of the opposition, hopefully they give you all a bit of insight into the opposition and their views of their football club.

For the first of ‘The View from The Other Side’ I caught up with Newport County supporter, Chris Edwards.

Chris is a Season Ticket holder at Newport County, alongside being a shareholder and Trust member. Here is what he had to say ahead of our visit to Rodney Parade on Saturday…

Q. Tell us a little bit about your manager, James Rowberry, who of course took over following the reign of Michael Flynn………

A. James is a local Newport boy, like Flynny actually. Rowbs was coaching at Cardiff through youth teams and even first team before joining the County. Hes brought something different to the County a freshness and his playing style is very nice on the eye, hopefully with a full pre season behind him we see his team this season.

Q. How has pre-season been for Newport County?

A. Decent, didn’t really play anyone of a high standard. Last game ending in a draw against the Vegans FGR but every game looked like Rowbs just wanted to see different players in different positions and work on fitness as pre season should be.

Q. With the transfer window still open, who has been your best signing so far?

A. Difficult one this one, I really like the signing of Aaron Wildig who always impressed me against the County, I think Drysdale could be a good signing in long run. I’m probably most excited about Offrande Zanzala up top though, hopefully his work rate can help Bogle and Zimba grab the goals.

Q. Is there still a certain position you need to fill or would like to improve before the transfer window shuts?

A. A number 10 or if you are old school like me, an attacking midfielder. I feel we have plenty of defensive options but need another attacking option, hopefully to the standard of Finn Azaz we had on loan last season.

Q. Last season you finished 11th in League Two, what are the expectations for the club in the 22/23 season?

A. Staying in League 2 should always be the target for a club like the County but with Rowberry having a full pre season and bringing in his players I’m hoping for top half finish, maybe squeezing into the play offs

Q. Who are the players that Walsall need to be aware of in this fixture?

A. Will Evans, Young lad picked up from the Welsh league who got a start away to Sutton last weekend. Sam Bowen (Son of County legend Jason) is a great ball playing midfielder whose fitted in well to County’s formation and system.

Q. How do you see the game going this weekend, with not much to go off other than opening day results?

A. Walsall had a great win last weekend to start the season and looks like both teams should line up similar formations so could cancel each other out but hopefully plenty of goals and attacking play.

Q. And finally, a score prediction for the game?

A. After that answer above I’m going to say 3-2 to the County.

Thank you to Chris for taking the time out to answer those questions, and good luck to Newport County for the season ahead, other than when they play The Saddlers, of course.

For those of you who are on Twitter and would like to drop him a follow or interact with him, he can be found using the Twitter handle @ChrisEddy_7.

11 Likes

All feedback welcomed, and if there’s anything you feel is missing I’ll bear that in mind moving forward.

Good read, perhaps a question about which Walsall player they fear the most? Be interesting to see opposition fans views on that.

8 Likes

Like that.

We will just presume that it’s Danny Johnson this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Poor interview Rob.
You forgot to open with “Chris, how excited are you to be here on UTS?”.

33 Likes

Good idea this! For home games ask if they’ve been before, what they think of it etc. Be interesting to know what they make of our facilities/Walsall as a whole away day.

4 Likes

Good point well made. Might be good for the away games if they could send tips of decent boozers/food outlets etc for the travelling Saddlers faithful.

3 Likes

Old school would be “schemer.” :slightly_smiling_face: Or even inside right or inside left.

2 Likes

Great idea!

Might get trolled so best verify recommendations against other sources, like our regular away fans!

1 Like

Do Newport Neil and Merthyr Mark have regular weekly post match debriefs?

2 Likes

“And for UTS readers that haven’t seen you post before, what sort of poster are you? And what can you bring to the forum?”

14 Likes

Brilliant :clap:

Great work, this