Trains to away matches

That Wigan to Exeter fare comes down to £115 with a split ticket. Cross country fares are huge and split ticketing along their services save quite a bit. As you say split at Sheffield or Derby heading north, and, usually, Cheltenham heading in the other direction.

I use the split ticketing to work out the best fare combination, but then go to the train operator site to buy the tickets as there is no fee.
NEVER EVER buy from the Trainline. It’s the railway equivalent of ticket master, it charges a fee and if there is a problem you have to go back to them, rather than the train operator to get your money back…with many operators you now get automatic refunds.

5 Likes

When going to London the train line doesn’t seem to pick up the Chiltern line even if you put Birmingham any station or even Birmingham Moor street . Although not always the cheapest it’s reasonably priced especially if you buy it with a London travel card

2 Likes

I’ve always found that line a much more pleasant travel experience than the Virgin trains from New Street to Euston. Less crowded, more comfortable seats, and even nicer stations at each end. It is a bit slower - but not by all that much if you add in the almost inevitable delays on the other line. And much much cheaper in terms of the regular fares.

4 Likes

They are rip off merchants. Mrs. F travelled to see friends in Brum from Lichfield a few months back. Despite me suggesting she avoids the Trainline, she booked with them. Not sure when she’d come back she booked the anytime ticket they offered (£8.90). Luckily she avoided booking the timed trains that they encouraged her to nominate (£11.60).
Saturday is off peak all day and the fare should have been (£7.00) which is the fare highlighted by the train operating company websites.
…AND they charged her an 80p booking fee for the pleasure of ripping her off by nearly £3. They should be closed down.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be good if season ticket holders could get reduced train tickets through there clubs to support there team. More fan might travel and rail company’s would also benefit by more numbers.

1 Like

I have a feeling that Virgin did just that for some clubs - before they lost their franchise, that is.
That said there are plenty of other savings to be made using group railcards; Two Together, Family and Friends with savings for upto 4 adults and 4 kids (if you have and under 15 with you), in addition to the other usual cards.

Whatever happened to the “special” train services that took fans to games in the 70s & 80s?

They were more like the St Trinian’s day out :joy: they couldn’t sustain the cost of repairs to them :joy: