Tranmere Rovers (A) EFL Cup, Tues 14th Aug 7.45pm

I’ve been to Prenton Park once,we went into the supporters club for a drink before the match,they used to have an indoor bowling green in the club.When we’d got our drinks we were just walking around the edge of it having a look when we noticed this open door,looking through it we realised it led straight onto the terracing so we finished our drinks and got in for nothing…:laughing:

4 Likes

I did that too!

Roberts
Wilson Fitzwater Guthrie Leahy
Ismail Kinsella Dobson Morris
Cook Gordon

If you look back at many of our promotion seasons we often had a cup run the season before. 1987 run was followed by promotion as was 1998. Dean smiths last season was preceded by a cup final and even the class of 83 when we reached the semi final, the season before we had a bit of a cup run, you would assume the playing budget was increased from the revenue.

2-1 Tranmere

Just been looking at the League Cup memories piece on the OS

Was wondering why the game against Forest wasn’t there when I realised that they’re only looking at matches since 2000 and that was way back in 1997!! (where do the years go?)

Do any of the Saddlers faithful who were there for what was just a second round tie (over 2 legs back then) think that Andy Watson’s brace in extra time is not worth remembering because it’s not as good a competition as the FA Cup? The Bescot was buzzing that night!!

2 Likes

That was an amazing game. I know a couple of Forest fans (father and son) that came that night in the home end and were immediately converted to die-hard Saddlers (they had a season ticket for the next 5-6 years anyway!).

That game had a little bit of everything, sure I remember van Hooijdonk hitting the bar from 40 yards out!

1 Like

He did indeed, right at the end of normal time. Was probably further out than that to be fair. Being only 10 at the time I was in the Family Stand with my Dad that night and remember being amazed that someone could hit the ball that hard and accurately.

EDIT: Found the highlights on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/zMU4igH_cvE

2 Likes

He was on the half way line!

And was that Keatsy himself in the no. 8 shirt that night?

Talking of shirts - was it the first leg of this tie that our whole team had to change theirs part way through the game for some reason?

Wembley.Wembley.up.we.goo.:wink:

1 Like

Dunn, Wilson and Kinsella are in for Roberts, Devlin and Osbourne. Rest of the team is the same as Saturday’s.

Dunn
Wilson
Guthrie
Fitzwater
Leahy
Ismail
Dobson ©
Kinsella
Ginnelly
Cook
Ferrier

Yep, dark navy shirts to start with, changed to the white shirts with dark trim about 20 minutes in I think.

who is on the subs bench?

Roberts, Devlin, Osbourne, Morris, Kouhyar, Gordon, Candlin

1 Like

Tranmere’s leading scorer Norwood is also on the bench…

Walsall’s crossbar rattled, 3 min

28 minutes … Tranmere Rovers 0 Walsall 1

29 minutes Walsall yellow card

ferrier

Get in! Sounds like they are well up for it so that should calm them down.