Upgrading in January

Are you talking about transfer fees or wage costs?
Either way, it’s unlikely to happen. January tends to a sellers market.

Looks like the kind of player that could do well of us and would also be free !

The type even for a small fee could only improve and return on your investment

Could we loan bennett back or is he first choice now?

Hes first choice now he plays in 99% of there games

I would put in a cheeky bid for kemp from mk dons ( Swindon ) he is quality and would relieve pressure off hutch

2 Likes

Devils advocate - how much would we get for DJ

Think that should read how much ‘will’ we get for DJ.
His agent will have been touting him to all of 4th Division outfits in need of a prolific goal poacher.
If Draper gets recalled that leaves us with DJT and Matt :man_facepalming:

And whoever we sign in January

1 Like

Cant see him being here after January, considering his age and hes only been prolific at leyton orient and Walsall in the football league was also prolific for gateshead id say 100k maybe 125k at the very most

We’re more likely to get Marcel Wave…

2 Likes

Any idea what has happened to Harvey Griffiths?

Good shout.
I read that Mat Sadler is a very good friend of John Eustace, the recently departed Blues manager.

Every chance that Sadler is aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

The issue could be wages though.
Championship players earn a lot more than those in League 2.

3 Likes

The forgotten man. Waas on the bench on Tuesday for the Alfreton replay.

Yeah mate i agree big difference in wages for some between championship and league 2 players even when theyre youth players.

TBH though i cant see Marcel being on that high a wage. He would improve our RB position drastically looked very promising in the game i saw him play. My father in law is a season ticket holding blue nose and hes said he could be a star of the future very promising player but rooney doesnt rate him , well the fans dont rate rooney lol.

If i was MS id be striking why the irons hot and be on the phone to wazza , but why can i see him ending up somewhere like Shrewsbury , wrexham or port vale short proximity from birmingham

1 Like

Exactly the kind of player we should be going after.

2 Likes

Absoloutely we need to target the young local kids who have promise but for one reason or another have slipped through there prospective academys. We have four good academys within a stones throw of us Villa,Wolves,WBA and Blues juat for starters before you even go further afield. To me its all about having a decent youth scout/s out there like the good ole days , a stats formula and youtube clips only tell you so much

2 Likes

Worked well last season didn’t it?

I mean the Club signed Matt and Stevens with good intentions no doubt, but the players just aren’t available in January like they are in the summer. Mind you, Gillingham managed to go out and sign players that improved them, hopefully our computer will come up with something.

What I am really getting at is, that letting DJ go would be a huge mistake in my opinion. If we did really get into trouble and needed someone who can score goals, a bit of love and attention (probably from a new manager) and he’d be probably as good as anyone we would likely get in January without paying a decent fee anyway.

1 Like

Not for the lack or trying though. We were screwed over with DJ and then signed what most thought were pretty good strikers in Matt and Stevens, as you say.
The intent was there and I reckon it will be again. That doesn’t mean it will work, but that doesn’t just apply to us.

BTW, I don’t think DJ will be going anywhere in January.

1 Like

I don’t know how hard we tried in reality, most people hadn’t seen them play recently, whoever signed the transfers off should have known better.

To be fair you agreed with my post, it just shows how hard it is to get the right players in January. I think DJ will be off if Sadler is still here personally, why would he stay? That’s if anyone want’s him of course.