W 1-0 vs Tranmere Rovers (H) - League Two - Sat 12th Feb, 3pm

I read somewhere that it may be used as a facility rather than a hotel “permanently”.

:notes: All the lads and lasses
With all the anguished faces… :notes:

This should be the version they play before all those interviews with someone from the club.

5 Likes

Money for nothing I guess.

Good, we need the money. Those small profits every season don’t earn themselves! Invest in a striker? Nah, we don’t need one of those - let’s grind out some boring nil-nils: around 10 might be enough.

Too jeffing right Neil! At least you were ‘trying’, very ‘trying’ to be honest.
Nothing he said in that 3 minute interview gave me any confidence or made me think that he really wants it. All very non-plussed and lacking in personality or desire it seemed like.:man_shrugging:

How’s everyone feeling about tomorrow’s game?

After seeing you sack Taylor i’m now in two minds. I’m expecting a reaction from the Walsall players. We also never do well when we take a shed load of fans. The pressure and expectation etc gets to our lads. We will be at least 1500 strong tomorrow. I think we will hit 1800 or so in the end as it’s also pay on the gate i believe?

I see you’ve had 7 straight defeats? Has that been tactics mainly or have the players just been not good enough? (just so i can text Micky Mellon now lol)

We’ve bounced back well after Forest Green gave us a hiding. 7 points from the last 9 available and 2 more clean sheets (we are nearly hitting 20 clean sheets so far), although we conceded an unlucky (dodgy) penalty at Barrow for 1-1 last Saturday so it could of been 9 points from 9 and 3 clean sheets since the Forest Green mauling.

I am relieved Tom Davies is back fit and he returned alongside Peter Clarke (what a guy), as we beat Swindon 3-0 on Tuesday. Tom makes a huge difference to our side. We also never beat Swindon, they are truly a huge bogey side of ours. It made a nice change.

Our club are currently (and will be for some time), mourning the loss of 5 year old fan Nate who tragically lost his life to a Brain Tumour on Monday. Very sad times for Nate’s family. Against Swindon the applause started at the start of the 5th minute, then a few moments later Hemmings gets put through on goal and scores. Crazy stuff and like it was meant to be. So expect to maybe see a few banners for Nate tomorrow and maybe a few songs. Hopefully anyway.

Stand out players for us lately to watch out for?

Hemmings - after failing to score in his first 4-5 matches he bagged two against Swindon and looked very sharp. He will be looking to continue that form tomorrow. He’s more than just goals though and has a few assists since he came.

Glatzel - On loan from Liverpool. Had a tough start to his Rovers career as he adjusted to ‘men’s football’ but has been really good of late. Small, lightweight and not alot of pace but has a great touch/control and seems to be light years ahead of other L2 players with his positioning where to be on the pitch.

Warrington - Recently signed on loan from Everton and gave Swindon a torrid time Tuesday. Centre mid, 19 years old and very comfortable on the ball. Looks a real player and has a great attitude.

Hawkes - Very good player for this level. Recent signing from Sunderland after being on loan.

Our defence - Cant praise them highly enough (watch them concede 5 tomorrow now!). Cogley, Clarke, Davies and MacDonald. They know their jobs and it’s why we’ve conceded less than anyone else in the 4 top leagues (i think). The team is built around defending and staying in matches. We drop deep due to Peter Clarke (being 40) but it’s worked really well. Clarkey just commands the entire side really well. I think he’s been an ever present and also played every game last season too. The man’s a machine and without him we wouldn’t be where we are.

I’m expecting a tough game tomorrow and it really wouldn’t suprise me if you got the points or at least a point.

Hopefully you turn your fortunes around (after tomorrow) as you really don’t want to go through that trap door into the NL. Believe me i know!

Hope you guys are all well.

6 Likes

Yeah, both of those.

Interesting you have lads on loan from Liverpool and Everton who are doing well. We have a youngster on loan from Leicester and he’s been poor. We do have a keeper on loan from Brighton and he’s been very good, and he’ll need to be again tomorrow, I fear.

1 Like

From one football fan to another my sincere condolences to his family mate(not sure if you know them personally).What a heartbreaking situation and certainly no age to be losing your life my thoughts and prayers are with his family through this difficult time.All the best for tomorrow’s game which is irrelevant really when you think about the loss of a young life all the best scoobs.

3 Likes

He was superb when he first came but i think that by playing in our team, although still a good keeper, he has regressed :frowning_face: and is prone to more mistakes now

Young keepers make mistakes, I think it has to be accepted that there will be errors of judgement. If the rest of the team had anything near to his quality and commitment we’d be quite high up the league I think.

2 Likes

Every chance I’ll give this a miss tomorrow. They’ve got my cash so no loss to the club.

I think I know how we got here but I’m surprised how quickly I’ve become indifferent. Not angry, not upset just a numbness born of the strangulation of hope by mostly well meaning people who just aren’t up to representing the club I’ve followed for so long. They just don’t get it. They don’t get us. They don’t get what it really means.

I might get the urge in the morning. I probably won’t.

0-2

“Back off”
“left the business”
“Not a bad week”

9 Likes

And your chips for free

5 Likes

We’ve got a young lad Doohan between the sticks on loan from Celtic. He’s been solid and has a bright future but he’s made a couple of howlers. If you fancy a laugh check out our highlights away to Salford last month (1-1). But he’s young and still learning. I would be made up if we signed him full time. Apparently we’ve been working on it too. Here’s hoping!

Thanks mate, and no i dont know them personally.

It’s a tragic thing to happen to lose a life so young. Football certainly doesn’t matter when it comes to life but it does bring people together and the club have been supporting Nate’s family constantly. It’s great they have the support at this terrible awful time.

1 Like

Indeed, it’s about time the big boys from across the water gave us some decent loan’s.

I’ve always wondered in my time supporting Rovers why both clubs aren’t sending us 1-2 of their younger players each season, especially when we were a Championship club/League One for many years in the past. They could of made it a regular thing season after season. Hoping times have changed anyway as the club announced months back we have a new recruitment/scouting system. Bringing young and hungry players to the club to sell on for big profit etc. We have started the process well lately recruiting Hawkes from Sunderland and O’Connor from Celtic on full time deals after successful loans. I’m hoping Doohan is next (from Celtic) and maybe Warrington from Everton who’s apparently out of contract end of this season. It makes a change anyway from years of poor recruitment and selling very few players on for decent fee’s.

1 Like

Very sad to read that. Someone who has supported Walsall like you have should not feel this way. I get it, I feel exactly the same and there are obviously more and more feeling this way. It’s not about our league position but how we ended up with a feeling of such hopelessness. The club feels like it has no soul anymore.

Still I am sure they will be “giving it a right go”

1 Like

If the protesters do as they say and get behind the boys we can make this a fresh start and win this one. They’re a good side and a powerhouse at this level but beatable. 2-1 to the Saddlers.

1 Like

When I was asked to write the piece about the protest it was unanimous from the committee that I should make it clear that we urge everyone to get behind the team once in the ground. If we go a goal down and people get angry well that would have happened anyway.

Of course we can win I believe that every game I go to. If I’m not mistaken we don’t have a bad record against Tranmere at Walsall.

2 Likes

Clinched promotion against them once, although that was at FP.