Walsall Fan on 606 tonight

Someone called Brad called in while I was making the tea (not dinner, certainly not supper) and made the point that Clarke was turning it round with hard work and he thought we could make the play offs. But that’s not really the point. I could hear the cogs turning in the heads of Savage and Sutton as they desperately tried to figure out what division we were in, and whether we were that place by Coventry or not.
They gave him short shrift. He said his bit, they said thanks and moved on to a football fan of some Premier league team which is what they understand. Waste of time his phoning in. It’s only for the big boys.
It was a good listen back when Danny Baker presented it, or Danny Kelly or Nick Hancock stood in. Poor now, but better than when Jason Mohammed was on it or that bore Alistair Bruce Ball.

3 Likes

Anyone that phones into to one of these deserves a barge pole up their arse.

2 Likes

I wasn’t listening tonight, but it can be a good listen sometimes. A Wolves fan phoned in last week suggesting they should get rid of Nuno as they are a top 6 club now. Sutton replied " Well you’re not, you finished 7 the last two seasons and are in tenth place at the moment" Made me chuckle anyway.

2 Likes

Well i’ve never erd of it?

Radio 5 Live

1 Like

Oh ye i have heard of that :wink:

Yes, Sutton can be funny sometimes and knows a lot about the game at the top level but Savage is moronic.

I saw Savage once, coming out of the media city building on Salford docks, as he was walking towards me i am sure he was reaching for his pen expecting me to ask for his autograph :joy:
Of course i didn’t :grin:

Well done. :smile:

1 Like

He was probably about to ask for your autograph, but was put off when you glared at him.

2 Likes

I did give him the evils (vicky pollard style) :laughing: :wink:

Yeah but no but…

1 Like

The original 606 was a totally different show when Danny Baker presented it. Great stories about fans experiences on the way to & on the way back from football matches. It paid no attention to the games that had been played that day (apart from the Euro / World Cup specials). Danny Baker being sacked by the BBC then being re-instated being a story in itself.
I remember he was replaced by the execrable David Mellor, who turned the show into a Chelski bore-fest & from there it has lost its way & has become the antithesis of its original format.
I used to make sure that I tuned in during the Danny Baker years. If I hear Robbie Savage’s idiotic voice now I switch off.

1 Like

I think it was Frank Skinner (or possibly Paul Hawksbee) who said that everyone who phoned Mellor seemed to be under the impression that they were a Magistrate and it was still the 1950s.
I think Richard Littlejohn achieved the seemingly impossible by being even duller than Mellor most of the time.

1 Like

Robbie Savage is actually a really nice bloke apparently. My brother is a chef and used to do food for the pundits and all those folk at Villa Park. Robbie Savage was one of the few who he says actually had manners and would even take his plate and stuff back up towards the kitchen and thank everyone.

One who used to look straight through everyone ignoring them without even a please or thanks? Chris Kamara. Goes to show how people can change if they know there’s a camera in their face!

1 Like

Very much enjoyed listening to 606 when Alan Green was hosting.

I think Robbie’s reputation as a footballer has buggered the public perception of him? i know he does a lot of charity work so he gets respect for that.
And i have met cammy quite a few times, usually in the Dial aprix supermarket round the corner from his apartment in Los Cristianos, he makes a point of going up to people asking them where they come from and who they support, and once we were sitting in a bar waiting for an England game to kick off, and we stopped him for a photo, and about 20 mins later he was still only about 5 bars down from us because fans where still stopping him for photo’s :joy:

1 Like