Walsall Football Club - So Many Issues

and Gems like this absolute weapon the bloke.

5 Likes

Never as a bloke been so out of touch with the average so many times as Mr Whalley.

6 Likes

Still feel that there got to be regeneration funding available to re build the saddlers club with main aim being the community.

I am in process of sorting my programmes, ticket stubs, everything Walsall related out. Found some letters off Whalley when I wrote (on numerous occasions) with various grumbles. You can sense the hostility and defensiveness in his replies.

7 Likes

I think Coakley referred to all the board members as cardboard cutouts in that interview.
I just find it strange that someone who was so intimately involved in the club as Blower was at some points was not aware of the events that went on which led to the club no longer owning the ground and even when it was obvious what had happened did not raise any objection to it.

2 Likes

@mel58 @Killer78 Yes when I spoke to Tommy Coakley during that interview he was not very complimentary regarding Roy. The hurt and pain he felt all those years ago was clearly still there, and rightly so. The way his daughter Marie was removed from her job was terrible and that in particular really rankled with him.

4 Likes

There was lots going on in the background around that time, quite a lot of manoeuvring to get Tommy out and some people who he thought he could trust were actively working against him.

I admire Coakley for keeping the show on the road at the end of the promotion season, when, it seems, things were already beginning to crumble.
Our free-spending ways were already behind us and, as has been referred to, we could only strengthen for the final push with a couple of free transfer acquisitions, Paul Sanderson being one.

1 Like

I did a fair bit of sponsorship in the early 2000’s when I was running plants in the Midlands. I still have the signed match ball against Rotherham, from when we were the match ball sponsor, for our last game in the championship.
After I moved on to pastures new a year or so later, I had a call from Roy asking what I was up to and if I was interested in any sponsorship packages. When I told him I was no longer in the area, the call was abruptly ended.
Bell end of a man.

9 Likes

Richard O’Kelly too in the second half of the season.

I used to knock about with a very wealthy lad a few years ago, and we used to take it in turns to take each other out to restaurants and try to outdo each other.
On one occasion he took us to the Greyhound at Yarlett Bank, it was quite an exclusive pub at one time, but it is owned by a small pub chain now.
Anyway we were in there and Roy came in with a bird about half his age, giving it the big un and everyone in the pub acting as if the king had walked in :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Thanks, I couldn’t remember who it was. From Port Vale?

What a Whalley!!

1 Like

…and always looked as though he was wearing a borrowed suit. Never saw him with a pair of trousers turned up to the right length!

2 Likes

Correct. He was given a free at the end of that 87-8 season and signed for the Buck at Grimsby.

I didn’t realise that Whalley was a consultant for the company that owns the advertising sign.

Probably on commission, 50% take for overheads and phone. Once the power and loan payments come off there’s nothing left for the club. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There you go…… Another unfounded named direct accusation to someone. This time from the moderator themselves. You are hilarious.

Sorry, Roy. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well said, Jeff :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes