Walsall Football Club - So Many Issues

Reserves are 0-3 down after 30 minutes :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Didn’t we get hammered last week as well?

Edit: 5-0 :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Well it’s 4-0 now so I think this is going the same way… useless

Make that 5-0

A reserve side made up of 16 year olds.

No actual reserve players in the squad.

What’s the point of it?

2 Likes

The disparities between the first team and sides that are being put out for supposedly reserve matches is massive. We’re just playing our scholars aren’t we?

Massive changes are needed especially if we’re looking to a structure a pathway from youth to first team then at the.moment we seem to be seriously in trouble.

Surely the fringe players should be involved? Bates, Perry, Willock, Rose, Leak etc or is it because of the small squad these are not risked?

1 Like

It’s a cracking way to hide half your transfer income though.

2 Likes

I remember reading Halifax’s views on Fullarton were when we employed him, I wonder how much power he has over Taylor in terms of philosophy but the second paragraph seems to be coming true. I was surprised to hear Taylor’s comment about having a “philosophy off the ball” prior to Stevenage. I’d actually like a philosophy WITH the ball. Hopefully the first paragraph will come true in time.

1 Like

Oh dear. Seems like a reasoned post as well.

I mean it goes on for a lot longer, bit of a depressing read if true. full thread here but might need to register - Sign In - theshaymen.net

1 Like

After reading that, I’m ready to slit my gizzard. I’ll pass on signing up for more thanks :joy:

QUESTION: What are we Walsall FC good at?

ANSWER MULTIPLE CHOICE:

1. First team football
  2. Reserve team football
  3. Youth development/football
  4. Player recruitment
  5. Player development
  6. Football identity
  7. Meaningful communication
  8. Supporter liaison/interaction
  9. Marketing/PR
  10. Supporter acquisition/retention/CRM
  11. Merchandise/club shop
  12. Pre-match experience
  13. Match atmosphere/entertainment
  14. Catering
  15. Bars
  16. Community work/connection
  17. Junior Saddlers club
  18. Stadium cleanliness/infrastructure
  19. Long term plan
  20. Progressive/engaging board

Please list the numbers you think we’re good at and if you can be bothered the rationale why.

7 Likes

Can you add paying Rent please.

3 Likes

I was trying to be positive

1 Like

It almost reads as a deja-vu on where we stand today

1 Like

I’m struggling.

If I’m to be really positive and ignore those twenty things I’d say that there are two areas we do well in. The first is when an individual has a request for a bit of flexibility on something like which stand they sit in. The second is the experience if you ever decide to go a bit posh and have a meal in the main stand and everything that goes with that.

We struggle at the polar opposite of those two things which is catering (in every sense of the word) for the masses.

2 Likes

I made the mistake of going to watch our “reserve” team’s 5-0 defeat against Preston North End. It was our youth team against their reserve team (an U23 side, I estimate). It was men against boys and embarrassing to watch. I asked why the likes of Rose, Bates, Perry, Leak, Willock or even players out on loan at lower league clubs were not involved. The answer? They have to be kept in their separate covid “bubbles” (Full professionals and apprentices). What utter tripe! They all train at Essington, don’t they? Other clubs still mix their age groups.

I felt sorry for Matt Sadler, the manager. The old saying about silk purses and sows’ ears sprang to mind. They, as a group, are clearly conditioned to losing their games. Their body language was poor and there was no “spark” or life about their play. How is this developing our apprentices? Other members of staff were conspicuous by their absence from Matt Taylor down to Miguel Llera. Will any of those lads earned a pro contract at the end of their apprenticeship? I very much doubt it.

14 Likes

Big signs that you can see of the motorway

1 Like

That’s a bit poor tbh, even Whitney and Sharps made it to most of the games there.

2 Likes

More worryingly what does this do for the mental health and well-being of these youngsters. No doubt some of them will have been with the club since a young age dreaming of making it as a professional footballer.

Being sent out to get spanked week in and week out before being chucked on the scrap heap isn’t going to help them in life in my view.

3 Likes

Think you missed a couple of other things our beloved club does excellently namely
A) Ensuring we keep complete idiots in constant employment
B) providing a cosy warm retirement home for dinosaur board members.

5 Likes