Walsall sign new Goalkeeper

Ok turning that argument around, if Zeli Ismail signs for Salford City, does that mean he’s suddenly become a player you wouldn’t want at Walsall?? Personally I would love to see a player of his ability sign for us, provided his attitude is right. But if he signs for Salford he suddenly becomes tainted by non-league according to your logic, whereas in reality he’s the same player with the same ability level .

3 Likes

That’s not really a like for like though to be fair. Zeli Ismail is 24 with tons of potential BUT I’m not dodging your question, I’ll answer it directly. I don’t think he currently is League One level honestly.

He’s another of our ex - players that I think benefits from being better than what we currently have. Kieron Morris has been woeful and the system under Whitney restricted wing play at times so people see Ismail and think “wow, there’s an exciting player”. I reckon we can do better than Ismail personally if we look around, he was league one loan himself.

He went down with Bury and he looked ok in a struggling Walsall team. I think he’s top half league two, MAYBE bottom half league one.

But he hasn’t turned out in the National League yet like this guy has. He could go there, rip it up, which he probably will and, like Cook, prove he is playing below his level. Has this guy? That’s the difference. Cook played in non league football but isn’t a non league player. This guy sounds non league to me. I’m not tainting every player to ever play non league football as a non league player.

1 Like

He has come to sit on the bench, plenty of league experience, with Ganley released this is a cheap and sensible option who can come into the Team as required.

Agree regards Devlin and Leahy hopefully going the same way as Gillespie.

Ok then agreed, but accepting that goalkeepers aren’t really the same, take a look at the fact that Brighton are apparently looking to sign Jason Steele (from league one Sunderland) as a back up keeper. Steele, like everyone at Sunderland had an awful campaign last season, but he’s experienced (27) and viewed as a competent back up option to Matt Ryan who played every game for them last season, and will probably play every game next season. So this type of signing happens at all levels. I’m sure if Ryan breaks his leg on the opening day Brighton will go out and sign another keeper, as undoubtedly we will if anything long term happened to Roberts.

2 Likes

My only concern would be we don’t have Brighton’s budget to be able to just go out and sign another player.

If Liam goes down injured, this guy is starting.

Good signing for me. Roberts’ new contract last year would have meant a pay rise (and rightly so), so I’d like to think this gives us a solid enough backup without needing to break the bank. After all, there’s no point having a decent chunk of our salary budget sat on the bench most weeks.

For those doubting the signing, he did at least keep the most clean sheets in that league last season, so certainly shouldn’t be a mug. We’ve certainly signed goalies with a lesser pedigree than that in the past.

2 Likes

Happy with this. DK is sticking to his knitting.

Dunn is hopefully the only squad Player Keates will be signing, therefore is the perfect fit.

Thats why I was disappointed in Ginnelly as it seems he has little pedigree - but looks like a Starter.