Who do we need to try and keep at the club?

I didn’t say the best manager at Walsall.

That Southampton game was the reason we stayed up in my view.It was the most one sided game I have ever seen and for us to win it was a footballing miracle.

5 Likes

We should pull out all stops to make sure we keep the groundsman. He’s doing a fine job & without him we’d be screwed…

2 Likes

Yes, certainly up there. What a team they had for division three!
The one that rivals it for me was a 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace early in the season (Div 2) with Coakley as manager (88 from memory). They had Ian Wright and Mark Bright up front and absolutely battered us without managing to score. You were probably there.

I’d take Norman too. Still think we need a centre half so yes to Jules but meh for Scarr and Clarke…

I think you’ll find that the non exec directors don’t get a fee at walsall. If I remember corectly a few years ago the criteria for being a non exec director was that you had to loan the club around a million non interest bearing.

I would be there but don’t recall that game specifically although I do remember playing against the Bright and Wright combination. It is really odd how some games stick in the memory whilst many others .even games with lots of goals, simply fade away.

1 Like

I remember it well, Wright in particular was outstanding, he hit the woodwork several times and generally ran us a merry dance. They got their own back several times in league and cup at their place though, seem to remember a couple of 4-0 drubbings.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct about that Palace match.

I remember standing in the Street End watching wave after wave of Palace attacks carving us wide open, usually through Bright and Wright, but somehow failing to score.

I guess we’d call them ■■■■ strikers if they had played for us!

1 Like

That game took us out of the relegation zone - I dare say we dropped in and out again before the end of the season but considering how many points adrift we were when Smith took over, it gave us a glimmer of hope that Smith could pull it off. (Sorry - referring to Southampton game here - intended this to be a reply to other posts.)

Yeah, appreciate that. Bojit and Scarper are earning a few quid though.

There was a lot of talk in the Smith era when the social media at the club was done by the lad who went off to Blues … Countless interviews on YouTube about the Walsall way. Players and people can come and go etc but the culture stays the same.

Looks like it was Smiths culture. It’s not here now.

We must have a former player or manager whose got a bit of a business Back ground good contacts and a bit of Football nouse. Let them steer this ship.

Do we need Mole AND Gamble especially if Pomlett is more hands on.

The Club needs to change not just the players.

We’ll just keep swapping players or managers until we strike it lucky with the right formula.

3 Likes

I’m not sure you meant to reply to me there :slight_smile:

I was there too.
As a young lad standing in the enclosure bu the dugout.
Wright tore us apart, he was amazing. Bright won everything in the air.
They should have won about 5 !

1 Like

Keep Adebayo Holden Kinsella Jules Rose Norman and Mcdonald the rest can go garbage.The likes of Lavery Nolan and Guthrie in January if possible would cash in on Gordon in the window if there is still anyone after him.

2 Likes

more like ten or twenty grand. Mole wouldn’t have a million lying around for sure as he’s only ever worked at the club (for peanuts).

Mole’s an executive director. You do understand the difference don’t you?

I don’t think there was any distinction between them. Uncle Jeff just used to like up his directors to have some skin in the game. Guess it made them feel better about agreeing to everything.

Tend to agree

1 Like

Executive directors are paid employees of the company. They don’t normally pay to have their position in a company you have exec directors who run the company such as sales director or finance director… Non-executive directors usually get a fee a couple of grand just to turn up at a couple of meetings. Companies pay them so that their name appears on the director list, MP’s or members of the Lords are often non-exec directors. Some people are non-exec directors of around 60 companies.They don’t normally get involved in the day to day running of companies. I would guess that non of our non-execs gat a fee.
Gamble and Mole are paid to run the club I doubt if either of them gets much say if any in the football side of things. they will have responsibility at board level for the payroll, keeping the accounts in order, the club shop, ticket office and the conference and advetising revenue. They probably have to organise the travel to away games and hotels for the team and such like.

1 Like