Who do you see as our rivals?

Shrewsbury Vale and Crewe to a lesser extent.

I’m always surprised at the hatred at Vale games, they proper hate us, but I guess if you had two bumholes and 19 fingers and came from Burslem you would be angry all the time too.

Shrewsbury are just posh ■■■■■■.

1 Like

Funny enough i haven’t got the hate for salop, i had a mate who worked for One stop in Brownhills, and he was a Shrewsbury fan, born in meole brace, he used to come to Walsall games with me and i used to go to games with him, even becoming a member lol, we even used to go there on a friday night it was a cracking night out.
And we have a couple of FRIENDS that stay on the same complex as us in Tenerife, who are VALE fans, i never ever thought back in the 80’s i would use those 2 words in the same sentence :rofl:

Shrewsbury and Vale for me. Have no particular dislike for Wolves, nor West Brom.
I agree with Blazing above, in the 70s and 80s I always thought it was Villa defeats or half time struggles we seemed to cheer the loudest.
It was fun for a few years with Sjoke, reading their Rivals website (the Oatcake?) was an education, we got right up their noses, and some of them were obsessed with us. And we kept finishing above them. :rofl: For a while. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Glad to see us all agreeing on something :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I always liked the Coventry games too myself, not a real rivalry but we had some ding dongs over the last 5 years.

It helps i worked in Coventry for 2 years and i cant stand any ■■■■ who calls a cob a batch,

5 Likes

Vale, Shrewsbury & Stoke end of

1 Like

Younger fans are exposed more to those clubs through school. As they grow up they realise their true rivals are the ones we might play, not the plastic clubs.

4 Likes

While I fully understand the sentiment regarding who we play on a regular basis, and agree that Shrewsbury is always the game I am most “up” for, regardless of whoever else we’re playing in the same season, I can’t be having this “so far ahead of us, good team to watch at the moment etc.” Wolves love-in.

If the post-lockdown resumption of football has taught us one thing, it’s that it’s a hollow beast without fans, and it’s their fans (and Villa’s, and Albion’s) who populate our workplaces and pubs, and live in the same streets as us, not Vale’s or Shrewsbury’s. It’s Wolves’ current purple patch that is going to turn the heads of the youngsters in the Walsall suburbs toward Molineux and away from Bescot- they are in every sense a rival on that score- and it’s been their boasts about being the sixth or seventh biggest club in the country, only ever two seasons from rekindling their more natural rivalries with Milan and Barcelona, just days removed from drawing 0-0 with Millwall while 14th in the second tier, that I’ve had to listen to for 30 years. Their anguish is, therefore, a thing of unadulterated beauty to me, and that’s a rival in my eyes. Again, if COVID has taught us owt, it’s that the actual 11 vs 11 is pretty innocuous without the palpable sentiment that carries it. I absolutely love it whenever Shrewsbury come a cropper, but when Wolves scored that late equaliser at their place a couple of 3rd Rounds ago, I couldn’t supress a twinge of disappointment.

9 Likes

Good points, and ties in with what Exile was saying a little. That is why I dislike Villa more than all the others, cos for whatever reason, Pelsall was over populated with Villa fans when I was a kid. Spent many hours battling them on Pelsall Common. I was the only Walsall fan at my Primary School (mostly Villa) and there weren’t too many when I moved on to the Seniors. I think peoples location in Walsall dictates which one of our so called bigger neighbours they dislike.

Wolves fans are always good for the wind up though, they are a special breed of people. I know fans of all the clubs around us, and there are sensible fans you can have a conversation with. I have honestly yet to meet a Wolves fan that is capable of talking about football without sounding like they shouldn’t really be allowed out with out an appropriate adult.

1 Like

Probably why there were so many at Chorley. All the carers…

1 Like

I used to dislike every local team when I was younger and loved it when any of them lost! Thanks to Sir Ray I saw us beat nearly all of them, as well! When I was at my most antagonistic as well haa…

I’ve mellowed now, don’t really care about any of them. Hating on the Dingles seems a ridiculous pursuit - I actually only really dislike Vile & Shrewsbury. Further afield Northampton & Crewe still get on my nerves :rofl:

It has hurt seeing the Shrews progress as they have, although it was more to do with us going backwards**. They have got it right off the field though, working with their fanbase. Lets hope with LP we can start making up that ground - both on and off the field.

**they have still got nowhere near achieving what we did in those Graydon / Lee years

Worked in Cov for a fair few years so I would always enjoy us beating them. Similar to Wolves in their delusions of grandeur, and that was only compounded when they bought themselves a decent egg-chasing team.

Of the midlands teams, it was always the Blues and Wolves I hated. For some reason I’ve mellowed on the Blues these days, but still have a great dislike for our 6-fingered neighbours.

3 Likes

Me too. Probably Crewe thrown in too.

Though, and I cannot emphasize this enough, I hate everyone - I want every team, that isn’t Walsall, to lose - badly.

3 Likes

Shrews for me followed by Crewe ( cuz I’ve never seen us beat them at their place ) but I really have a dislike bordering on hatred for those nasty dingles, I get enormous satisfaction every time they get beat :+1:

2 Likes

I first attended in 1998 and was lucky enough to grow up in an era where games against Wolves, West Brom and Birmingham were relatively regular occurrences.

For me these games are more exciting than any other and I’d love to see us play Villa too. I wouldn’t say I hate any of these teams, although I always find it amusing when they struggle and hope they sink down to Walsall’s level. But on the other hand, I kind of like it when they do well, as I think it’s good for the West Midlands region, although I draw the line at Wolves actually winning a major trophy, that would be insufferable.

Shrewsbury mean very little to me. I’ve never met a Shrewsbury fan, there’s no real connection between the two places and their away support is crap. I find games against Coventry and Port Vale have more edge than those with Shrewsbury and take more satisfaction from beating those two than the Shrews.

3 Likes

Sjoke too, they will forever be in there because of our heated battles when we were really good - and the fact that we always came out on top.

1998/99 was particularly satisfying, celebrating promotion at their place.

Notts Forest and Sjoke are 2 fairly big clubs whose fans are not particularly fond of us :joy: I really took for granted the years we turned up for games just expecting to beat clubs of that size

Gooooood times

Something strange happens when you move out of the area in that you begin to forget how horrible it is to live amongst them and actually find yourself pulling for the region.

Living in Liverpool and working in Manchester means I am surrounded by folk who inhabit a football world dominated by these two cities plus London. The West Midlands dismissed as a bit of a footballing wasteland. Despite having three EPL sides next year that will continue to be the case.

I need to meet a Wolves fan every month or two just to serve as a timely reminder of what a set of ■■■■■■■ they are.

4 Likes

Apart from Bittertreehugger from days of yore, of course.

1 Like

A bit reminiscent of Thor from PNE …

Can confirm they’re still knobheads.