Who do you see as our rivals?

I watched a football programme about Forest last night, and like them or not, what they achieved in the late 70’s early 80’s was quite remarkable.
I will never forget the day we were sitting on a Dawsons coach when we spotted the Forest team coach, and sure enough Clough was sitting across the first 2 seats behind the driver.
So we persuaded the driver to overtake the coach as we all fought for a place on the back seats, and about 7 of us started mooning we could see clough look at us then turning to the players while pointing his finger at us, and you could just imagine him saying
“NOW THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH FOOTBALL NOWADAYS” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

From memory (what’s left of it) I think Thor could be a bit disagreeable, though I may be wrong. I always felt you could meet bittertreehugger before or after a game, whatever the result, for a pint.
I know it’s been covered before but I always enjoy (reasonable) posters from other clubs on here.

Five letters right. Wrong order. Right sentiment.

1 Like

Quite right, cob or bread roll are perfectly adequate descriptions, no need to call anything a batch, and certainly not a barm cake.

2 Likes

He had good taste in music, judging from the tee shirts he wore.

Big fan of Brotherhood of Man then?

1 Like

Personally I feel the praise for Shrewsbury is a little over cooked, they’ve had a few decent seasons nothing more.

2 Likes

Completely agree with you on this. They’ve reverted to type since they had that one good season and pottered around the lower half of the table, although their natural level is probably League Two historically.

They deserve praise for trying things outside the box to encourage fans to go etc, but I’ve never been impressed with the atmosphere whenever I’ve been to their place, and it’s even worse when they travel to us. The Liverpool game in the cup is the only real exception for obvious reasons.

Maybe I hate them more than I thought!

I think there are rivals and local rivals. Unfortunately ones we would class as more on the doorstep are far higher up the pyramid.

3 Likes

The bristol clubs anyone?

I am surrounded by Man Ure and Man City fans as you would expect but there are a few Liverpool and Everton fans too. When I am in the office (rare this year) there are some lower league fans too such as Oldham, Accrington Stanley, Sunderland (as they are lower league now), Tranmere (2 of them believe it or not) and Bolton. Mostly Mancs sadly.

I did once end up having a chat to a City fan in a pub once and he was very interested that I was a Walsall fan and remembered the season we finished above them. There was no animosity until he discovered the mate I was with was a United fan and the tables turned. “It’s OUR time now, you RED B*****D,” he said, threatening all manner of violence.

Yet he was fine with me and even wished Walsall luck as he left.

It just shows how much they despise each other up here.

:grinning:

I’ve seen it briefly mentioned a couple of times further up, but certainly in the late 70s and early 80s, our rivalry with Wrexham was quite something and no love was lost between the two sets of supporters. Another ground where the station was close by and it often kicked off after the match.

1 Like

imo i think when i got the bug the biggest cheer at halftime he seem to leave the dingals score till last .

1 Like

When was that mate? I was talking early to mid 80s, definitely seemed to be Villa that got the biggest cheer. It did move towards the Dingles though over time.

1 Like

Def how I remember it in that period, it seemed to be Villa we really hated. It switched to the Dingles for a couple of reasons, I suppose, one being so many of their fans were ridiculously annoying (we’m a massive club, Franksy, we shouldn’t have to be playing the likes of Bury or Crewe) on various local phone-ins, and the other being that we started playing them, whereas we haven’t played Villa in yonks.

2 Likes

Sounds about right mate. More so the first bit about their fans becoming increasingly annoying and bordering on ridiculous, and it hadn’t been forgotten by Walsall fans how their fans deserted them, and then all came crawling back.

1 Like

Whilst claiming the never deserted them in the first place.

There were 30,000 of them at Chorley, don’t you know?

3 Likes

Interestingly, when we have played Villa or Wolves, a few times over the many years, we’ve got a fairly good record against them, considering how “big” they are.

Since living in South Wales, I’ve rarely missed the Brizzle Rvrs game but never viewed them as “rivals” per se. Funniest times were when we were in the same division as Swansea. I used to travel up to Walsall for the “home” games on the Swans’ fans’ coach :hushed: :open_mouth: At the ground, I had to surreptitiously slope off to a Walsall part of the ground!
It was fun disguising my Midland accent. I couldn’t sustain a Welsh accent so I used to keep shtum as much as possible. If I spoke at all, I put on a fair facsimile of RP, as if I was a solicitor or something. On the way back, I had to pretend to the same emotions as the rest (usually pssd off as we usually beat them). Never got rumbled. :grin:

2 Likes