Why aren’t we scoring more goals?

Every team above us has scored more goals than us.

Like most I thought Lavery mostly responsible for us not getting more.

However the following Interesting(ish) graphic highlights that it is the midfielders and widemen (Bates, McDonald) not chipping in. Lavery is pretty much on par with his chances.

More shooting practice for our midfielders please DC.

1 Like

I think there must be at least 4 games this season where we have hit the woodwork once or twice.

If they had gone in, things would be lot different.

On the flip side a shot that hits the woodwork is a shot that is off target. A shot that rolls towards the goal at a snails pace in the middle of the goal has more chance of going in than a shot that is off target.

1 Like

Because we are ■■■■

3 Likes

Don’t worry we will have Flash back soon Clarke can play him out of position as well.

1 Like

He will ■■■■ himself if he only has a 4-4-2 formation to pick, how can you tinker with that :flushed:

1 Like

He’d still have to decide whether to play Roberts wide right or just behind the front 2 in a false number 10 role …

1 Like

We are not scoring enough goals due to the midfield, every games we have 4 defenders then our 2 cm just sit in front of those, can’t expect 4 players to constantly perform against 7-8 opposing players, plus because 2 cms sit so deep all we do is hoof the ball

1 Like

It doesn’t help either that the four players he picks to play in midfield are all cut from the same cloth in terms of their mentality. Kinsella, Sinclair battle for the ball and keep it simple. Guthrie and Bates sit deep and look to get us going from there. It’s not in any of their nature to get into the opposition third.Clarke needs to swallow his pride and play either Holden or Osadebe as part of the two, or go back to the 4-2-3-1 and allow whoever plays as part of the 2 to just do what they are good at

1 Like

Lot of talk for strikers but Gordon and Ade have been scoring at steady rate since start of 2020 and Lavs chips in from time to time.

I completely agree there’s no midfielder capable of breaking into box and getting 5-10 this season which any top 7 standard team really needs.

Was really disappointed Liam Sercombe didn’t sign in summer given he’d played for DC at Bristol Rovers. Exactly the type who’d give central midfield that extra quality and he’ll be playing for Cheltenham on Saturday.

Just looking at their strikeforce aswell, Alfie May, Reuben Reid and Andy Williams. They surely can’t have that much of a higher budget?

Just bought the stream for Finn Harps v Shamrock Rovers game on Friday. So thought I’d check out how Rory Gaffney was getting on at Rovers…hasn’t scored a single goal!! No way… :poop:

Then I just realised things could be worse. :rofl:

Doesn’t help that XG is the most ridiculous and pointless stat there is. If you judge football with your eyes and not an algorithm it’s pretty clear why we don’t score more goals, our finishing isn’t good enough and we don’t play killer passes. Our chances generally come from tapping it around for 15 minutes then a lump/mazy run.

1 Like

We also can’t take a set piece. Which doesn’t help with your goal threat

2 Likes

Don’t agree entirely there EL N. xG has a place, it’s often a very good indicator as to whether a good run of form is sustainable or not. I do think it’s less useful when it’s being used on an individual match basis, though.

2 Likes

It tells me nothing I don’t already see with my eyes. A team has more shots or the ball and gets more chance of scoring? Who’d have thunk it.

Basically useless for one game. Need around 10 games sample size for it to be of much use I’d say. That said I don’t think we need anything like that to understand why we aren’t scoring many goals.

2 Likes

The 50 yards between our forwards and midfielders for a start.

4 Likes

Which is why I think we looked better with Holden in the attacking midfield central role as he at least gave some kind of link between the two.

4 Likes

It’s about the quality of the chances you’re creating, not just possession or shots so it paints a more realistic picture of where a team is at.

As @Blazing_Saddler says, it’s definitely more useful over a longer period than individual matches.

1 Like

I’ll keep just watching with my eyes.