06/02/88 - 36 years ago today

A date that stuck in my mind a bit as we were away at Sunderland that day, i think they were top and we were second, ended in a 1-1 draw and i’d say we took around 1,500 up there to the old Roker Park. I was a young 17 year old who travelled up with a guy from work who then continued to fill the car with other guys from Walsall i never knew., (all older than me).

Clearly remember a punk with a mohican gettin in the car down the broadway somewhere early that Saturday morning, with a t-shirt with in big letters ‘F___ OFF’ on it. Got to outside Middlesboro by 12 ish, sank a few underage lagers and on to Sunderland where it was a decent game and atmosphere.

Got fish and chips outside and was on the way back arriving home for around 8.30 after the driver doing at least 110mph all the way and my dear old dad (RIP) saying ‘thought you said you were going to the match’? Pulled out the programme as evidence. Good team back then, great day and great memory for me, was my furthest away day at that young age!

8 Likes

I was there too…somewhat older though!!

Would the punk be Belg. :joy:

1 Like

What’s underage lager? :grin:

2 Likes

My one and only trip to roker park.
In the home end with a mackem mate.
My abiding memory of the weekend was sitting in his grotty local on the Sunday lunchtime when a very careworn and apathetic stripper did her act in the corner of the bar. Must have been 50 if she was a day.
It was like being in an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

1 Like

what pub was that?? Asking for a friend

3 Likes

Even if I could remember she’d be at least 86 by now😂

1 Like

Possibly :thinking:

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My main memory is a Sunderland supporter ran into the back of me somewhere near the ground. I was worried that the lights were damaged & I’d have to drive straight home! Thankfully they were ok. We exchanged details & he paid for it to be repaired back in Hull :grinning:

That reminds me of when I was at uni in Sheffield (many years ago!) Me and a couple of mates sometimes went to this very run down pub down near the old steelworks where they used to have strippers on most evenings. This one time we went, and alongside the usual toothless old blokes perving away waiting for the strippers, we noticed there were loads of of young people in. We quickly worked out that they were from the local 6th form college and were there supporting some class mates who had formed a band and were doing a gig.

The band came on and all the kids went wild - dancing away in front of the stage. They did a few songs and then had a break - during which the MC announces the next act (Hilda from Hillsborough or something like that). When she came on and started removing her clothes all the old blokes who’d been muttering away at the bar perked up and moved to the front - where they jostled for space with all the young lads whose eyes were out on stalks - the dozen or so girls though all shrieked and ran outside. :joy:

Anyway, they all came back in when the band reappeared. When they had finished their second set the stripper came back on - at which all the girls (who had been necking the booze a fair bit) now stayed and eyed her up. Suddenly a few started started heckling that she was a bit rough and they could all do better - and then they all started taking their clothes off too! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Was there went on Roy’s coach number 1 ,
Was it mark goodwin who scored a belter for us ?
Packed into the corner terrace and like what was said it was a great atmosphere

1 Like

Mark Goodwin it was. Not a popular player but I rated him and that was a good goal. It certainly quietened the Roker Roar.

2 Likes

Carling

3 Likes

I am fairly sure he had a similar goal disallowed before the one he scored.

Should have won that day, we had several good chances in the second half. I can still picture Christie missing one from about 5 yards out. Great day though.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m pretty sure we had one disallowed. Looked alright to me but I didn’t say anything :grin:

1 Like

I think Eric Gates had one disallowed for putting the ball in the net with his hand

2 Likes

There was second half commentary from Roker Park as part of Radio 2’s Saturday afternoon coverage.

Remember the day really well.

The Eric Gates handball, the walk from the coaches on the front up to the ground. They only had one turnstile on and it took an age to get in. Then once in, our little corner was dangerously wedged. Pre Hillsborough, coppers just laughing as we were carried up and down, side to side on a packed corner terrace.

Good result but as Blazing says, we could and should have won.

Good side. I too liked Goodwin. For me his introduction that season in place of Childs was the difference that got us promoted. Without Cross and Childs we weren’t as exciting to watch but Goodwin and the underrated Hawker gave us a really solid midfield base that had been lacking throughout the far more pleasing on the eye Buckley years and Coakley’s first season.

2 Likes

Nearly got arrested at that match for doing the w@nker sign to a Sunderland player. It wasn’t until the copper invited me to spend the night in a Sunderland cell (and the thought of asking my Dad to pick me up from the North East) that my teenage cockiness made way for a more subdued response :laughing: