74/75 Season - never better

We`ve only got your word for that :laughing:

1 Like

And that was a Tuesday night match wasnā€™t it? Or was that later on in 1978 when we played Leicester? Whichever, I remember Alan Buckley scoring one of his trademark overhead kicks, but this one was from the edge of the 18 yard box.

There was another memorable incident surrounding that gameā€¦,.do you remember what it was?

Canā€™t say I doā€¦but early onset and all that

Just imagine if Buckley and George Andrews were in the team today, we would be champions in January!

1 Like

Unless you count the time I nearly missed a flight at Manchester airport being detained in the sh****erā€¦ must have been a bad pint !

1 Like

It`s getting worse by the minute. Mods please intervene :rofl:

3 Likes

Newport away? What happened?

Well itā€™s a long time ago so I donā€™t remember all of the details, but Newport had a bomb scare on the day (morning?) of the game. This was pretty much at the height of the IRA mainland bombing campaign. I think there was some confusion about whether police would allow the game to go ahead and there was certainly some debate in our house about whether a child should be taken to a football match there!

Anyone remember this and any further details?

Went to quite a few games that season. I was there for the Newcastle, Man U and Blues cup games. The Blues game was such an anti-climax, we never got going. I canā€™t help thinking that if the game had been at Fellows Park then we would have beaten them. 1974-75 was a good season but, for me, it doesnā€™t beat 1983-84 or 2000-01. Letā€™s hope 2020-21 can be memorable: automatic promotion and a good cup run please.

1 Like

Blues were a very good team that year though, so Iā€™ll give them credit for stopping us getting going.

I think youā€™re right about best years though, the two you mention outdo 74-75, especially the milk cup year for me. Such vivid memories and we wonā€™t see the like again in my opinion.

1 Like

Would have been a few weeks after the Birmingham pub bombings.
I didnā€™t go and donā€™t remember it, but I do remember the confusion at the Brizzle Rovers game a year and a half earlier.

1 Like