A new dawn

How refreshing to listen to a Chairman of our club talk passionately and open. Very intelligent guy and has given me even more hope. Everyone needs to watch this.

8 Likes

I haven’t listened to the whole interview yet, but one thing that struck me from this part. He said he spoke to Jeff years ago and said “if you’re ever thinking of selling, speak to me.” And then finally 4 months ago he decided it “was time.”

Well that blows the whole “the club is for sale but only for the right price and to someone who has the clubs interest at heart” line that’s been peddled for the last 15 years right out the water, especially considering Pomlett is a lifelong fan.

4 Likes

You can tell hes excited by the challenge, being a shrewd businessman as he is, I expect the club to be maximizing the profit from the facilities we have at our disposal

Open, honest, realistic - that’s great to see and hear…

I’d suggest he’s no mega-millionaire who’ll be prepared to splash cash to create unrealistic aspirations - but a man with drive and ambition who genuinely cares for the club.

The ‘extra bums on seats’ thing seems critical to ongoing investment and it’s clear that he feels this would enable the ongoing longer-term development of the ‘project’ as he calls it… But what I also really like is his determination (clearly now made public) to create more value and revenue from the commercial activities of the business and its refreshing to hear him being so open about what this means for more success on the pitch…

Seems to have a clear direction for leading the club - crikey we’ve waiting ages for this style of ownership, let’s hope it’s reflected in player attitude and work ethic…

UTS

2 Likes

Having listened to the whole thing I must say he is very impressive and I think we are in very good hands.If the Manager and players do their bit we will be successful and those !,000 extra fans will appear as the season goes by…maybe even more than 1,000 will be supporting us come May.

6 Likes

So now all the dust has settled, can someone tell me what he has actually bought? has he just bought the football side of the business? or will he get the revenue from the sign, the venue? the market?

Not sure on the sign, but was under the impression that the revenue generating streams are part of the club, but not the bricks, mortar, and stanctions that it’s based in.

I mean, most business premises are rented, but whatever revenue they generate belongs to the business, not the landlord.

Think the more pertinent question is who owns the debt, and does does it still exist? Has Jeff written some, or all, of it off? Did Pomlett pay it off to him, and now we owe Pomlett? Or do we still owe Jeff, and could he, at any time, demand his ÂŁ1 million?

2 Likes

Good post!

I wondered about the big advertising signs as well as I know they generate alot of money. Has Jeff kept hold of there income?

Given Pomlett’s business expertise I doubt he’d have bought the club and let an ex bog handle maker keep the profitable income streams.

1 Like

Jeff’s brother owned about 10%.
Don’t know if that’s included in the 76% Pomlett has bought though. Robert Bonser left the board as soon as the sale was announced.

Have we paid him back? Might explain where most of the transfer money from Bradshaw, Henry etc went.

Nope, we still owed him something like 1.1mil at last accounts.

1 Like

Even any credit he has for appointing Graydon is minimal for me. He took a punt on him and it worked better than anyone could imagine due to the genius that was Sir Ray.

It wasn’t as though he knew Graydon was special and backed him with funds. Ray did it with his hands tied most of the time. Ended up sacked with his successor being given proven Champ players after Graydon was given very little.

3 Likes

If pomlett owns 76% who owns the remaining?

The club has around 800 shareholders, mostly fans with less than 10 shares, issued from a fund raising share issue when JB first took over, the vast majority are fans who are no longer with us and the list is badly in need of a ‘cleanup’. The only shareholders with more shares --around 6 people with 700/ 1000 (each a few %) are current directors and news quest. a full list is freely available on companies house web site.

Absolutely, this. Graydon’s final signing, if I recall correctly, was Carlos Andre.

About a fortnight after his appointment, Colin Lee got to unveil O’Connor, Holdsworth, Marcelo, and Corica on the same day.

I hear this a lot. Colin Lee earned his war chest by beating Charlton, securing a place in the fifth round of the FA Cup and a lucrative live slot on the telly. Hundreds of thousands of pounds that he was then given a decent chunk of to make said signings.

I just couldn’t have seen Sir Ray beating Charlton. For a start he’d frozen out Jorge who Lee picked and who scored both our goals. Lee also went two up top which Ray had stopped doing, most notably in his last game at the Albion.

1 Like

The more I hear him, the more I like him. Pragmatism, ambition, realism plus few other good things. I could never dreamt, someone so grounded will be an owner. Ambitious pragmatist, I like it. It seems good times ahead.

1 Like

But either way, Bonser wasn’t prepared to back two managers he has since had credit for hiring.

Sir Ray got nothing despite performing miracle and Lee only got backing after he’d earned the cash himself.

Any credit for good appointments ends as soon as they walk in the door. Any backing or support stops there and if they succeeded its despite Bonser not because of him.

1 Like

From what I remember, Blues offered MOC and Marcelo to us in a deal where we paid more if we stayed up, which meant it largely paid for itself.

1 Like